Sign in to follow this  
NitroMan

Topwater on the Potomac River

Has anyone started using topwater lures yet? I havn't been out on the river since last Friday and I was wondering if the topwater bite has started yet? The last time I was out the bass were slapping the top but I could never get any to bite on a buzzbait, spook, or a popper. So can anyone tell me?

A lot of uys will start throwing top waters after the spawn.  Spawn won't hit full swing until the full moon in May.

You might have been seeing gar slap the surface.  They do that a lot.

I've been doing pretty well on Spooks and Spook Jrs in baby bass pattern during low light, mostly at dusk lately.

Haven't been to the Potomac yet this season but I have had success with topwaters this week in some local lakes. I have been using a Skitter Walk and a spook and have had hits and fish on both recently. All fish on topwater have been after sunset. You probably know this but your best bet for topwaters is early in the morning or late in the day/night.

Good luck, remember to vary your retrieve, I've had success with both a slow, pausing retrieve and a super fast retrieve with my walk-the-dog baits.