Sign in to follow this  
alabamabassmaster

Alabama River Fishing

Have been fishing the past few months on the Alabama River near the Claiborne dam and have noticed a few disturbing things.

I have fished all my life and have never seen anything like this. This started within the past month, 1 out of every 2 bass have what looks like sores all over their scales. We have caught a few of them with rotten places on and around their mouth and some had rotten places on their tails. The majority of them have the sores from the gills back all over the scales. Some even have big lumps with red blood shot sores on them. I forgot to bring my camera but next time I go I'm going to take a picture of some of them.

Is this normal or what's going on?

I've seen something like that a few times on my section of the river (selma area). I have always assumed that something had taken a bite at the fish or they have some disease but nothing to the scale of which you have. I'll ask around and see what I come up with and get back to you in a few days.

A buddy of mine and I were fishing the Flint River in south GA this past weekend and noticed the same thing. 1 out of 2 bass (largemouth) had the same symptoms you described. 1 also had larvae coming out of him. Keep us posted if you find out what's doing this.

Thx

I have fished the river, between Millbrook and Wetumpka, the past 3 days and all the fish look healthy.  I will start looking very thoroughly the rest of the week.

I have noticed that in the past on different AL waters.  It wasn't nearly as bad as you've described though.  We usually find a couple of spots spread out over several different fish.

This past weekend, on a very small local flow (the deepest spots where maybe 3 feet deep) I caught 10 LMB.  All were in the smaller range and I kept 2 that were about 10 inches each to eat.  They looked gorgeous and flawless from the outside.  When I got home and began cleaning them they were both completely infested with roundworms.  Not just in the organ cavity, but balled up throughout the meat.  I've never seen that before and needless to say, my appetite left in a hurry.  I'm sure the worms I found are probably pretty common, but that was my first encounter with them.

Keep us posted if you see anything more.

Are you sure they are not just sores from spawning action? I know that the post spawn fish will have those type sores very near their mouths and down their bodies. From my understanding it is a bacteria infection that a great deal of fish get after the spawn. Oneal Williams did a show at Lake Lanier one time and almost every fish they caught had some sort of infection on them. He said it was only from spawning and the sores will go away in a few weeks. I hope this helps...maybe try and ask a dnr official or someone working at a state park...they maybe able to clarify.