Sign in to follow this  
NitroMan

Fountain Head

I hear all this talk about how great Fountain Head is, but I do not even know where it is? Can someone please tell me a little bit about this body of water, like where it is, how the fishing is, and what types of fish are in it. Thank You I live in Remington, Va and I dont want to travel too far to fish but if the fishing will be worth it then I will definatley give it a try. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And if someone wants to take me up there and show me around that would even be better!!! PM me if you are willing to.

Fountainhead is just a park off of The Occoquan where you can launch. Its off of Ox rd/Rt 123 in lorton.

NitroMan,

Fountainhead is part of the Occoquan Reservoir, you can get to it via route 123.  The reservoir does have some good bass fishing, there are only two drawbacks that I see.  The first is they do not have a dock to tie the boat up to when launching or retreiving your boat but they do have a ramp.  The second is the max gas motor allowed is a 9.9 HP. However I have seen numerous bass boats launch there.  I hope this helps.

Ron

Hey Nitro, if you head out there and want any ideas shoot me a pm and I can tell you what has worked for me man.  I've caught some decent fish up that way and they aren't too tough to figure out here.

I haven't been out in a boat much but have navigated all through the woods and down to some of the coves by foot catching them in many different areas.

One thing I can tell you is that wood is definately something you wanna be looking for here.  Laydowns, fallen timber, pieces of old docks, etc.  Where there is wood covered up there are fish.

Ron,

You say that a 9.9hp is the biggest motor allowed but I have a 115 on my boat can I still use it to get from place to place if I don't cause a wake? Like driving as slow as possible?

No you can't, you will get ticketed if you get caught using your 115 HP gas motor.

Thats no good!!! I have been having problems trying to use just my trolling motor in many lake close by to my house. My batteries die 2 quick and with the high gas prices its hard to go out and buy new ones!

Hey Nitro I don't know what boat rental prices are like there but they do rent jon boats.  I'm sure with gas prices going up though they are charging more for their rentals these days.  I haven't tried going out of there yet this year.

Sorry to hear about your trolling motor probs, my dad just picked up a sweet battery for ours that can push through the strongest current and winds.  I think he got it at Dick's but I'm not sure.  He should be able to tell you.  Wasn't a bad deal at all either.  He said it's been worth every penny.  And it can get us up and down the Occoquan River without dying while going across a couple times too, so the rez should be no problem.

What type of battery did he get? I need some good ones so I can fish all day instead of just a half day worth.

NitroMan, I bought a Diehard Marine Deep Cycle Battery at K-Mart. I bought the most powerful one they had in the store at the time, it has 200 minutes of reserve capacity and 675 cranking amps. The good thing is it is a bargain for the price I paid $109.99 plus tax. It provides enough power to pull my boat around through the toughest winds with no effort at all and it lasts a couple of days on a single charge. This battery is more than powerful enough for places like Fountainhead. I also bought a Diehard deep cycle battery charger for it. You need to make sure you charge the battery back up with a deep cycle charge or you will ruin the battery. I put a link to the battery below. You should be able to buy it at either K-Mart or Sears.

Deep Cycle Battery:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02827582000P

Deep Cycle Battery Charger:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02871222000P

Well with fishing the occaquan rez, instead of Fountian head, can you use a big motor there?? I want to find a good place to fish that I can use my motor. I have been fishing the Potomac alot but I like a variety. I like big bodies of water and I would like to catch a big fish bigger then 5 pounds, Im about sick and tired of catching small one haha

Foutainhead is part of the the Occoquan Reservoir, the entire reservoir has a 9.9HP limit on gas motors.

I would think you should be fine with the 10HP.  I know I would get a ticket if I used my 25HP.

I need to invite you guys on a trip to the res one of these days to show me the ropes there.  Gotta take my new jon for a spin.  Only has a 5hp, so I'm good to go.

I'm pretty sure at the Fountainhead ramp that there is a sign that says 10 HP limit but pretty much everyone has a 9.9 out there so they say 9.9 limit.  Idk if I've ever seen a straight up 10 HP but pretty sure you'd be fine

I'm pretty sure at the Fountainhead ramp that there is a sign that says 10 HP limit but pretty much everyone has a 9.9 out there so they say 9.9 limit.  Idk if I've ever seen a straight up 10 HP but pretty sure you'd be fine

10 hp max limit is what it says.

If you want to ask someone about this body of water, just ask Mattstrykul, Vabasser and soccplyr07 or one of the other tourney anglers. the place can make you look like a pro..............or leave you heart broken. It may seem small, but it fishes "BIG".  If you want my take on the place, PM me. ;) I know where to go......

10 hp max limit is what it says.

Everything I have read about Fountain Head, the majority of the info

was from people who fished out of boats. I imagine that Fountain

Head is so big it would wear you out trying to walk all over.

okrod, no it is not worth walking at Fountainhead.

Thanks guys, you just saved me a day.  I'll be sure to smuggle aboard a boat for Fountainhead.