Sign in to follow this  
Phishin Fillip

Frustrated with the City of Fredericksburg

The other day i decided to check out the city quarry.  I didn't realize it was closed to the public and accessed it via river side.  When I got there there were two no trespassing signs.  This frustrated me because i happen to know that tax dollars are what bought this quarry from the Silver company in 2003 for about 3 million dollars to deposit silt from the destruction of the embrey dam.  

I may have fished it anyways, hooking up with two 3 lbers and a 4 lber in the matter of about an hour.  There are a lot of big bass in there.  I saw them. I want to fish this place now very badly

I decided to call the city and see if I could somehow attain permission to fish there.  I spoke with one receptionist who told me that it was not open to the public and I accepted it.  But then I got to thinking.  People have permission to give scuba lessons there.  Why are they allowed to scuba there but I am not allowed to fish there.  So I called back and talked to a different receptionist.  She at first tried to tell me that only city officials were trained there such as people from the fire department.  Then I told her that a company advertised on their website that they had access to the quarry and they gave certifications there.  At which point she told me if anybody was there other than officials being trained it was against the law.

I just now found out the boy scouts dive there for badges.  I do not think the boy scouts are breaking the law.

I just called the scuba company to see how they got permission to dive there and they are supposed to call me back.

Anybody know what else I could possibly do?

I am frustrated

Just for you to think about... Quit talking to the receptionist and talk to someone with some power and raise hell about it. It isn't fair that they can swim in the water but you can't fish. I know of many places where you can fish but can't swim... But seriously don't just listen to the receptionist they usually dont know what is going on anyways.!!!

Hey Phish,

I fish down there quite a bit on the Rap in different areas and have fished cozy too.  I will help you out in any way possible man.  You should start up a petition or something with guys from the area chiming in and signing.  I would do it.

Anyway, like Nitro said, talk to higher authority levels.  These receptionists are just gonna enforce what the "higher ups" tell them with no back downs what so ever.  Get to the source man.  Find numbers, etc.

I fished there once. I caught a huge black fish. I'm not sure what kind it was, but it was well over 150 pounds, had a rubbery skin, and was wearing a mask and flippers.

Put up a heck of a fight....

I fished there once. I caught a huge black fish. I'm not sure what kind it was, but it was well over 150 pounds, had a rubbery skin, and was wearing a mask and flippers.

Put up a heck of a fight....

sounds like you needed a gaff or one of these offshore angler's bat from BPS 83554.jpg

It seems the City is allowing outside groups to use the water but not individual fishermen.

The guys are right on target. Look up the City of Fredericksburg's web page and try to find an official that can help you.

A low level employee is a waste of time.

But do not be surprised if you hit a brick wall so it you live in the City you can contact your City Council member for assistance and guidance.

If you do not live in the City then you will be at the beck and whim of a City official who will tell you "no" as it is easier than to tell you "yes" if you get my drift.

Or, have a friend contact their Council member if they live in the City.

As I see it, the odds of you getting permission are very, very low.

But give it a try and please let us know what happens.

You will see your local government at work and wonder how it works at all.  ;D

Good luck.

Go to one of the council meetings and register to address the council during open microphone time.  Plead you case to them, just make sure you have the facts about the groups that are using this water so you can speak intelligently to them.  I would also ask them to verify the information for themselves that you provided and to get back to you with a ruling on who is eligible to use this water.  Just make sure you are extremely polite to them and dress appropriately for the meeting.  Just my 2 cents.