Sign in to follow this  
Phishin Fillip

Rappahannock River Conditions

I drove over the Rappahannock river today on my way out to walmart and saw that the river is looking tons better than it did yesterday.  After all the rain it seems like it has taken longer than it normally does to clear up.  I am going to head out there before too long to do some wading/swimming with a group of friends and fish.  Nothing too serious.  I will report back with how it went later!

Plans didn't work out to go to the river, but I decided to head over to the quarry instead.  I did ok there considering I was only there for about an hour and a half.  There were definitely a lot of bass in there.  I saw one pretty big one that was probably about 3 pounds start to go after a weightless fat ika but before I saw it coming I had already raised the rod tip and brought it up from its fall.  I was really kicking myself after that.  I had two half pound dinks and two that were pushing just a little over a pound.  I really want to see what is in this quarry because both times I have gone the only things I can get them to go after are finesse falling presentations such as a wacky rigged trick worm, weightless trick worm, weightless fluke, or weightless fat ika.  I have a really good feeling that theres some ancient grandpa in there or something.  Another day I reckon.

Fillip, bout that time of year that those summer deep water vertical presentations should work well.  Something else you may wanna consider thats worked well for me during this time is slow rolling a spinnerbait deeper in those areas.  Caught my last few fish doing that.  I love that pattern in the summertime.  Honestly wind, water current makes no difference to me, a spinnerbait has applications you can apply in numerous conditions that some people tend to forget.

Keep killin em' on those plastics dude.  Thanks for the report on the rap.  I was curious.  I may make my way down there next Thursday pending on if I can get someone to wade with.  But I will be going further upstream by the wildlife area.  If anyone is interested please let me know.  I know there are bigger smallies up here as my dad's friends from work catch fish regularly above 2 and 3 lbs.

Thanks for the spinnerbait tip, Jay.  I did try working a spinnerbait over top of the ledge, but I wasn't exactly slow rolling it.  But, I will definitely try that next time.  I would have really liked to wade with you next thursday but I am gonna be out of town.  I wade a lot around embrey dam and also on a spot off river road.  We ought to get together and get a little I'll show you my spot if you show me your spot kind of thing goin on some time (not that my spots are all that secret).

Falls Hill is my favorite area but River Rd seems like it may be better from what I hear.  Haven't actually waded that part just fished some spots from the bank.  Normally don't make it all the way up to Embrey but I almost get up to the old dam site. The water is typically too deep at one point after you pass the river campground a ways up. Need to wait for the water to come down at the lowest level of green to chance it with the current there. If not need to get out at the shoreline there and get back in further up by the dam. How is the fishing at that spot?

We will get together eventually. Maybe one day next month dude. Keep in touch and let me know what your July schedule looks like. Aside from the college battle thing we may set up and me going out of town last weekend in July I don't have much booked up yet and it's my last good month of fishing this year as my wife is due with our first child mid september. As of August she's a ticking time bomb and I need to be around full time in case she goes into labor.

Later dude.