Sign in to follow this  
Paul Naj

NOVA- Effects of the Heat Wave

NOVA guys, I'd like to hear your opinion on the effects of the hot weather to our fishery.

I know that in the past two weeks or so we were already entering into a transition from spawn to post spawn. Most of the fish I was catching before that in the coves were now gone. In the past two weeks I've been finding fish on primary points and banks adjacent to these points. The deeper the water nearby, the better. This past Thursday was virtually the same. The weed lines along the bank were holding fish and I was able to get them to attack a soft plastic jerkbait. The rest of the hits I had were in 8 to 10 feet of water on Senkos. I haven't been able to find a decent top water bite in the past two weeks. I did manage to get some fish but nothing over 3 pounds I did find a nice smallmouth sitting on a rock pile.

So what will the heat do? Will it force them into a summer pattern? What type of structure will you target in the next few weeks? What's the goto lure?

Thanks.

post-13649-130162941418_thumb.jpg

I'm surprised you're having trouble with top-water bites... I've been throwing a popper this weekend and I average about 1 bass every 10 casts or so...

Also, I don't really know if the heat wave is going to be that detrimental to the fishing this season. The water usually takes a while to heat up anyways, and if the heat wave is short-lived, then it may not affect it as much.

Nice smallie Paul.  It seems like the bass are in a summer pattern at some of the places I have fished with the fish down deep (6-10 feet)on points.  The tidal waters still have bass in the shallows though.

Actually guys the bass fishing will slow down and stop in NOVA due to the heat.

With the hot weather congestion on Northern Virginia roads will prevent bass guys from getting to the ramps to fish.

They will sit in traffic all day as the DC drivers and visitors to our country have their cars break down by the hundreds on the interstates and roads making for tremendous traffic jams.

;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D  ;D  

With the hot weather congestion on Northern Virginia roads will prevent bass guys from getting to the ramps to fish.

They will sit in traffic all day as the DC drivers and visitors to our country have their cars break down by the hundreds on the interstates and roads making for tremendous traffic jams.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'm so glad I live two minutes from the ramp.

;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D  ;D  

On further note, there will be 10x as much traffic due to the oil crisis in the world, therefore putting more people in traffic, ultimately, not allowing anglers to get to launch ramps.

Everything relates back to Economics  :D

Not sure about the heat but the crazy rain making the my fishing holes muddy as hell is killing me.  I've had most my luck these few days on senkos.

Crazy topwater action today for Rob and I.  Fished frogs and man...the action was the best I've ever seen in my bass fishing days (1 yr  :P). Maybe put away the buzzbaits and try a frog out!

The heat has been to my benefit. It puts the fish right where I want them. In the shade, up under the mats of weeds. Also puts them on the prowl in the real early hours of the morning. I caught my first fish this morning at 5:45. Once the sun got high in the sky it was weeds, reeds and lilly pads. Landed  13 by 9:30. I love it when it's hot, more so at night......Lake Mannassas here I come. ;)  

I can say pretty much what everyone else has said. Early morning and late evenings.... Those are the best times to catch the bass feeding and not make you die of heat stroke. haha But topwater has not slowed down at all on the tidal waters. Hit ALL the grass mats!!! Grass will provide a cool climate for the bass this time of year. If you don't like fishing the mats try DEEP water structure. That is the way I am fishing. Good luck to you.

I went Saturday and Sunday, and mopped up after 6pm on a Gambler Cane Toad.  Caught a couple on an old rebel crawfish crank, but all the others came on the Pumpkin/pearl toad.  same color Zoom horny toad got no strikes, I think the Cane Toad's boot style legs were the trick.

Senkos, senkos, senkos. Spinnerbaits later in the day over weed mats. Topwater mornings and evenings.

I believe the early heat has definately helped push the post spawn condtions into full gear and I think we should be focusing on summer patterns in most areas aside from some tidal waters.

I know shade is gonna start being a big factor here soon just like flippin stated so you definately wanna use shoreline areas that have any large overhanging trees, limbs, etc casting long shadows around the area. I like to cast parallel to shore when doing this (if on the bank) and swim a senko very slow with a 1/8oz tungsten bullet weight. Change your presentation by hopping, dead sticking, swimming, popping, etc until you figure out what the fish want. Having grass in this area doesn't hurt.

On days that do have a little wind pay attention to the area it is blowing too, sometimes these can be much better pay off spots.

One thing is for sure I think with all the rain we had early this year and late last year a drought is not of any concern this season.  But the way the weather has been, who knows.  It's too unpredictable.

Senkos, senkos, senkos.

That's exactly what's been working well for me.  Skipping weightless senkos under low hanging trees, bushes, etc. close to the water has produced consistent bites (and hangups  :P) for me.  

Good info guys. I think we have indeed transitioned into a summer pattern. I got 3 this morning on a scum frog but was unable to get any other topwater hits. I also only had one or two rises to the soft jerkbait which had been consistent up until this week.

One of the things we didn't discuss in this thread was the different effects of the seasonal change has on ponds / mid sized lakes and reservoirs, large lakes and rivers. While there are similarities I think size of lake, water depth, clarity etc. also play a role in the pattern as well.

Most of my fishing the past month or so has been on the same body of water and I've been able to change my approach and remain productive through the pre-spawn, spawn and post spawn. My past two trips have been tough. I'm definitely going to fish deeper my next time out. I'm just perplexed that I haven't been able to get a topwater bite going. In my old haunts in NY and NJ I could always raise a few fish on poppers, wooden swimmers, buzzbaits, spooks, spittin image etc and had some days that were amazing on virtually any topwater bait. The frogs today were the result of your suggestions. They were never a big part of my arsenal up north but I'm a believer here already.

I seriously need to work on my deep game and I'm going to stay focused on it next week. Thanks for the feedback.

The Spro frog was getting it done when the sun was high in the sky. Look for shade and heavy cover. The more sun, the more they hang in the shade.........Look for mats of weeds.

Today I had two just around 2 lbs; one on a mepps and the other on a crank.  I've been most productive casting parallel to the shoreline ahead of myself so I lead with my lure and don't scare off the fish.  I don't seem to have the technique or patience for senkos and tend toward hard bates, so I have to be careful pitching along the shore and keeping out of trees.  Black and blue 1/4 oz jigs with a rattle have also been productive and less likely to hang.  I also toss them along the shore and keep them moving for reaction strikes.  

Topwaters have also eluded me.  This morning around 6am, I tried a spook, popper, and swim bate to no avail.