Sign in to follow this  
ZachR

New River, VA-NC-WV

I'm planning an unguided overnight kayak trip on the New River sometime next month. I've never been on this river before and wanted to know if anyone could give me any pointers on where I should go - Virginia, N. Carolina, or W. Virginia. Also, any tips on what baits/rigs work well there. My best success with smallies has been with with curlytail Mr. Twisters on a jighead.

The plan is to rent a few kayaks from an outfitter and get them to drop us off and pick us up downriver a few days later. Anyone had any experience with outfitters on the New?

I'm brand new to this site, but it looks really active and helpful. I can see myself spending a lot of time on this board...

The New River down near Radford Virginia has some nice smallies in it.  Good luck on your fishing trip, make sure you post some pictures when you get back.

So you think the VA section is my best bet?  Anyone else with any other valuable information on this river?  I'd really appreciate it.

Any section is your best bet. That said (and I've never fished the New in VA or NC), the New in WV downstream of Bluestone Lake gives up tons of fish. There's a certain member here who has had a few 100 fish days there this spring.

If you do not have experience with the river and a kayak, I would suggest a guided trip.  The New is one river that you don't want to screw around with.

you have a pm                                                                                and Burley is right you dont screw with the NEW!!!!!!!!

it has claimed many lives!

YZ

I will be fishing the section near Radford and Christiansburg at the end of this week.

Can some of you guys with New River experience send me a few tips via PMs as well? Anything about lure selection, locations, water temps and flows, etc would be GREATLY appreciated!

Dan,

I *** you man.  You taking a summer class dude?  Or just going down for the weekend?

I still have yet to fish the New.  I wanted to go to that park down the road from Radford morning of my sisters graduation but my parents and grandparents were there and we had to spend "quality time" together and we had to be ready to go down to the quad for the ceremony early.  Bleh!  Lol.

Is that the stretch you're gonna be at?  It looks sweet man.  Good luck and catch a few for me dude.

Yeah, it should be fun. My sister's soccer team is in the state tournament, which is held at Radford University, so I'm tagging along with the parents to watch her games and fish.

I just realized that the original post was on May 20 so the trip has already occurred.

Did you make it out and what was the outcome?  

If you didn't go, hope you enjoyed the area!

I'm glad that this thread has generated some good posts.  Thanks to everyone who has replied.

smlbass:  The trip hasn't gone down yet.  We were originally going for late June, but we've pushed it back to July 11-13.  Thanks for the link...very helpful.  I'm gonna bookmark that and check it between now and the trip.  I think we've decided to do a self-guided trip with Canoe the New Outfitters out of Pearisburg, VA.  Any tips on for catching some good bronzebacks in that area?

Hey guys...

I've been fishing for 50-years (this year) and fish the New River every chance I get, mostly along the NC/VA line.

If anyone wants to catch some fish... just send me a message.

You will need a canoe, kayak or pontoon boat (or you can rent on from a campground)... but the camping and fishing trip is free.   :)

Hey guys...

I've been fishing for 50-years (this year) and fish the New River every chance I get, mostly along the NC/VA line.

If anyone wants to catch some fish... just send me a message.

You will need a canoe, kayak or pontoon boat (or you can rent on from a campground)... but the camping and fishing trip is free. :)

What types of bait do you find to be successful on the New?  Ever fished near the VA-WV portion?

Hey. A friend and I are going to the New for the first time this Friday. We are staying at the New River Campground, and are floating the McCoy Falls to Pembroke float for smallmouth. I've fished the James a lot in the past and have always used plastics grubs. What works good on the New?

:) Thanks

Bryan

Hey. A friend and I are going to the New for the first time this Friday. We are staying at the New River Campground, and are floating the McCoy Falls to Pembroke float for smallmouth. I've fished the James a lot in the past and have always used plastics grubs. What works good on the New?

:) Thanks

Bryan

Bryan, how'd your trip turn out?  Any advice for me when I go two weeks from now?

June 20th

12:00 pm -4:30 pm

Friday we waded in front of the campground. Floating algae was terrible, but did not disturb the bite. Water level was really low, and around 70 degrees. Sun was out for the most part. Because of the algae we all went with weightless baits. I will list the baits we used and how many each caught.

Myself (Bryan)- Jerk Baits- 30+ smallmouth, 3 at 17".

Jason-Weightless grub 15 smallmouth, 2-15" on a small crankbait

Tyler- 0

Brandon- 10 small senko and wacky worm

Brian- 4 weightless grub

Justin- 8 weightless grub zoom

After 4:30 we setup tents then Jason and I went back in 45 min before dark, for some top water action.

I used a white buzz bait and had 7 or 8 short strike the bait.

Jason used a top water plug and caught 3 around 3lbs and 1 around 2 1/2.

June 21st

Saturday we floated around 10 miles

We continued using the baits mentioned above, same outside conditions.

Myself- 30+ smallmouth largest fish was 22".   I let my SSS sink for about 30sec then jigged it up from the bottom. Great fight, big fish, getting the pictures developed today. We released it pretty quickly only took about 4 pictures with 3 different cameras.

Jason- Caught over 30 smallmouth, the biggest was 21".  (only 1/4 mile from were I caught mine). We all stopped to admire the fish, and measure it before releasing it. While Jason was fighting his 21", Brandon hooked a 19". Both fish were landed, and we continued to catch several more 15"+ smallmouth at that spot.

Brandon caught over 30 and the biggest was 19" mentioned above.

The rest of the guys caught plenty of fish and had a great time.

This was the first time we had ever floated the New River. The campground was great, the fishing was super. All of the information on this website helped us out. It had been 4 years since I hooked my last smallmouth, and did not expect to have this great of time.  I'll post some pictures later today or tomorrow.

Bryan