Sign in to follow this  
A.Do?

Warmer water made for some good fishing in VA.

Went out fishing yesterday with some friends on our kayaks in a body of water in manassas and had a great time. The water was murky with about 2.5 ft. visibility and the temperature was from 85-89*F!

Caught about 20 keepers with the biggest at 3lbs (i'll post pictures later), which was disappointing because i know this body of water holds bigger fish.  We caught them off watermelon/cream laminate senkos in the morning and watermelon/red flake senkos in the afternoon when the water started to clear up some more.  Rigged weightless and skipped under over hangs  :P.

I know the bigger fish were probably in deeper water but we decided to just stick with what was working.

The crazy thing was these LMB put up crazy fights with the majority giving us 4 or more runs :o! This was awesome for me and my 6lb test line.  I was wondering if the warmer water is causing the fish to fight harder or if its just a seasonal thing. I thought the warmer the water the less oxygen the water could hold and would then lead to the fish wearing out faster. Is everyone seeing this kind of action in No. VA?

Regardless, had a blast despite the blistering heat and cold orange air quality.

Tight lines and stay hydrated out there!

Nice! 20 keeper day sounds awesome =D

I need to learn how to use my fish finder...then we can try and hit up those deep areas!

Hey, that is an awesome day to say the least!

I definetly have to say it's the warmer water that makes them fight better. I'm down at lake Gaston now and have been for the week, and any fish we caught fought so well. Today I hooked into a 5+lber pretty close to the boat on a rock pile and she jumped 3 times!!! I was by myself on the boat and couldn't get the net unstuck from under the boat so I tried to flip her in which resulted in the jig popping out her balancing on the side of the boat and then flopping back into the water  >:( She then sat there long enough for me to jump in mike iacnonelli style to relip her but couldnt get a good enough grasp. I got wet and almost lost my sunglasses and hat but whatever. Adreneline I guess ::)

Today I was at fountainhead, as soon as we launched, went to rinse my hands and It felt like bath water. And this was around 7am

Hey, that is an awesome day to say the least!

I definetly have to say it's the warmer water that makes them fight better. I'm down at lake Gaston now and have been for the week, and any fish we caught fought so well. Today I hooked into a 5+lber pretty close to the boat on a rock pile and she jumped 3 times!!! I was by myself on the boat and couldn't get the net unstuck from under the boat so I tried to flip her in which resulted in the jig popping out her balancing on the side of the boat and then flopping back into the water  >:( She then sat there long enough for me to jump in mike iacnonelli style to relip her but couldnt get a good enough grasp. I got wet and almost lost my sunglasses and hat but whatever. Adreneline I guess ::)

HAHA sounds like a lot of fun. I had a few that were just launching out of the water. We also saw carp everywhere launching out of the water. It was amazing to see 3-4ft carp jumping straight out of the water. Reminded me of the dolphins at Sea World!

We had one 2lber wrap it's line around a stringer of crappie and we thought for sure we'd lose it. Amazingly the fish stopped fighting when it was in the "School" of crappie and we were able to lip it. Crazy day of fishing! ;D

Today I was at fountainhead, as soon as we launched, went to rinse my hands and It felt like bath water. And this was around 7am

It was so hot we were tempted to jump into the water but it was so warm we decided it wouldn't be worth it. Plus I've never tried to get on my boat from the water and without my life-vest i decided it would have been a bad idea. :-/

Nice! 20 keeper day sounds awesome =D

I need to learn how to use my fish finder...then we can try and hit up those deep areas!

Yeah! it was awesome, probably only 2 or 3 dinks all day with a handful of blue gill too.  We were out there for 8hrs and the best fishing came with the light rain. The clouds blocking out the sun and the cool rain was a welcomed relief from the heat.

I need to learn to use the fish finder better as well.

Indeed skip!

I went out on the Potomac near Fort Belvoir yesterday with a friend of mine for about 5 hours where we had 9 keepers, 4 cats and 1 yellow perch.

I HATE catchin cats on my bass gear. They just keep spinning and twisting my line >:(

I've had the same experience lately with bass making strong runs.  

I also had a carp jump twice right next to my yak and I almost sh@t.  A buddy said he's heard of carp trying to ram or jump into boats.  I think he was putting me on.

So where are the large bass?  I've also been consistently getting 1-3 pounders under cover and laydowns primarily with Senkos.  The yak is great for skipping into this stuff and a 2 lber is fun, but I'd sure love a 4+ fish every once in a while.  Especially if the warm water will have them towing me around the lake.  :)

The yak is great for skipping into this stuff and a 2 lber is fun, but I'd sure love a 4+ fish every once in a while.  Especially if the warm water will have them towing me around the lake.  :)

HAHA, I've been tempted to do some carp fishing and try and have a 15lb+ carp pull me around a bit on the yak.