Sign in to follow this  
NitroMan

I need a Guide to show me around.....

Ever since I have joined this Forum I have been talking to different people about fishing the Potomac River. I ALWAYS launch my boat out of Hope Springs Marina in Aquia Creek, and I have gotten on the fish a lot of the time but there are some days that I just cannot catch one!

Today I had a tournament out of Hope Springs and for the first time I was able to bring 5 fish to the weigh-in. I guessed that we had about 10 lbs. which made me happy just thinking about it but when we weighed in all 5 fish only went 6.7. I am so sick of only catching small fish. I have a good grass mat that I fish all the time and the only bait I can catch fish on is topwater (rage tail shad). Before the grass got thick I was able to throw some finesse worms and get good strike but now that the grass has gotten thick It is hard to get my bait to punch through. I think it is almost completely pointless to punch through the grass since there is only 2-3' of water in the grass matted area.

I have found a good drop-off near another grass flat that goes from about 4' of water with thick grass and then it drops to about 12-14' but it is not a straight drop off. It gradually declines, it takes about 20-25 ft to get from 4'-12'. I have been fishing watermelon colored zoom lizards and jigs and Carolina rigged worms, with NO SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have another buddy who can fish this same spot and catch 3lbers. all day long. I even went out with him fishing the exact same way with no luck. I'm very confused with this spot.

My last and by far the best spot I have is a large group of lily pads. I can throw a rage tail shad or a frog in here all day long and it is none stop action. But the fish are dinks.... 2-2.5lbers. I want to catch LARGER bass.

I need as much help as possible.... I don't mind getting skunked by trying new areas but I would like to find at least one good area that I can go to that will perform for me like I need it to. I have seen many guys come to the scales with 6-8lbers. now what are they doing differently that I am doing so wrong??? I know this has been a long read but I'm sick and tired of wasting my time with dinks.

I had a tournament tonight like I stated above and I caught ONE fish in the grass mat that went about 2lbs and the rest of my bass were caught in the group of lily pads, Yea it was a blast watching the bass blow up on topwater but I want a hawg bass or hell even a bunch of bass that can go over 4lbs. If there is anyone in the South East section that knows a guide or is a guide or knows Aquia Creek and would like to take me out cheap or free to show me what I'm doing wrong or not doing that would be great. I know I put "cheap or free" thats becuase I am wasting all my money in Tournament that I obviously have no chance of winning, but I can't stop it's like an addiction hahaha.

Thanks Alot in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Google:

Teddy Carr's Outdoor Action, www.fishingwithteddy.com, 540.854.4271

Ken Penrod's Life OUtdoors Unlimited, 301.937.0010

Reel Bass Adventures, 301.839.2858

Teddy Carr is excellent; Ken Penrod is great; no info ot Reel Bass Adventures but contact them, too.

Good luck and have fun.

Be sure to PM me with all the secret honey holes they show you.  ;D   ;D   ;D

"If there is anyone in the South East section that knows a guide or is a guide or knows Aquia Creek and would like to take me out cheap or free to show me what I'm doing wrong or not doing that would be great. I know I put "cheap or free" thats becuase I am wasting all my money in Tournament that I obviously have no chance of winning, but I can't stop it's like an addiction hahaha."

Sam, you somehow missed that statement.

Hey Nitro, we carry a line of floating soft plastics that are red hot on the Potomac.

The baits are made by RnR who is based out of that area.

This is an up and coming bait manufacturer and we are the only internet site to handle this product.

We have a good selection of colors and styles and may be able to share a little info on the bites right now. (just a little).

We are still adding pictures but have many styles and colors in stock.

We are going to run a "free shipping" special to introduce this line. ;)

Thanks

Richard

Hey George,

No, I read it but I know of no one who can take him out for free and I thought it would be to his advantage to have the names of the Potomac guides in case he wants to make a financial investment in learning the river from a professional.

But thanks for pointing that out.

We had lots of heavy thunderstorms last night so the waters will be muddy for a few days and it will slow down fishing in these parts. I guess I will work in the office all day.

Have a great day and catch a lunker for me. :)

seen guys come to the scales with 6-8 pounders?we talking the potomac or st. johns river? ;D

6lbers i can believe but anything over that cant be caught with any regularity espeacially on the potomac.

You must have gotten into tournements with all the local sticks

my suggestion find a small club that isnt full of local pros

I have fished with a club where this time of year last year i was ounce off big fish with a 3.5 lber and i asked the guy that took me if it was an off week he said no 10lbs usually wins in the summer and big fish is 3.5 to 4 lbs i suggest you find a club like that ;)

oh yeah and try 1ounce flipping weight 4/0 superline ewg hook and a chigger craw or any craw like bait on a flipping stick with heavy braid

should get you bigger fish