Sign in to follow this  
VolFan

Pike in the Occuquan

Has anyone ever caught/seen one there?  Are they further upstream?  We were lookng to branch out a little and were thinking of targeting them, since we loved fishing for them out west.  Anybody have ideas or guidance?

Non native species.  If you find it, VA law will require you to kill it...

Seriously don't know if there are pike in there, but I doubt it.

There are pike in Quantico and Chopawamsic bays.  I have seen them first hand, a couple of them looked to be a few feet long.

There's a few in Occoquan.  I had a small one drop off a couple of years back. Pike prefer colder climates though, so they won't establish much of a population around here.

I have never seen any pike out there but I know for a fact there are alot of gar out there. I have hooked quite a few only to be dissapointed to have my line cut. I'd love to catch them but I was told the only way is to use a heavy leader. ;)

There are pike in Quantico and Chopawamsic bays. I have seen them first hand, a couple of them looked to be a few feet long.

Ron what you're probably seeing are Gar.  I've seen them out there as well.  If you google Gar you'll get some good pictures of them, they're long like Pike.  I'm no expert on fisheries but I dont believe  Pike could live in the tidal waters of the Potomac

The DGIF has Occoquan listed under the lakes that provide the "Best Fishing" for northern pike.  Were you talking about the rez or the river?

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/fish/details.asp?fish=010364

I also read in another article that musky are becoming more abundant.  They look like they can easily be confused with pike but I don't have any personal experience with either.

Any ideas on targeting these fish? I've heard of using big inline spinner but don't have much confidence in them and never throw them too long. >:(

The DGIF has Occoquan listed under the lakes that provide the "Best Fishing" for northern pike.  Were you talking about the rez or the river?

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/fish/details.asp?fish=010364

I also read in another article that musky are becoming more abundant.  They look like they can easily be confused with pike but I don't have any personal experience with either.

Any ideas on targeting these fish? I've heard of using big inline spinner but don't have much confidence in them and never throw them too long. >:(

You're pretty good with the small inline spinners!  :D

No they are Pike. I have caught Gar and I know what they look like, they have a long skinny mouth. I have also caught Pickerel and they are not Pickerel either. These were definately Pike unless we have alligator gar in the Potomac but I did not see that as a species in the Potomac.

Hey Skip2MyBass,

Ever tried the Banjo Minnow for them?  ;D

Strangely enough, banjo minnows work pretty good for pike ( as the topic comes full circle)...  Yeah the DOW has them listed in teh Occoquan, I was was talking about the res or even the river upstream of it.  Pike do pretty well, even in some warmer water than most think they'd do well in.  Thanls for all the replies.

Wow my mistake then, would've never guessed there were pike in the tidal Potomac, especially the creeks and bays where water is only a few feet deep most places

Another great lure for the Northern Pike is the good old red and white

"Daredevil"

As a kid I caught plenty on these lures. Funny thing is, back up north, we used to call small Northerns "snakes".