Sign in to follow this  
loving fishing

red eye bass/ rock bass

I've caught rock bass in non tidal rivers on the same baits I use for smallies.  Smaller sized jigs with craw trailers, rapala hard jerkbaits and tubes as well.  They are fun to catch.

I don't think there really is any stand out lure in your bass tackle that works exclusively for them but they do tend to be more so in slack pools kind of like largemouth.  Haven't caught too many in the quicker current areas of faster moving rivers.

I used to fish for the Red eyes in the Suwanee out of Branford Fl, I used to do good on those little countdown rapalas, they'll eat pretty much any downsized largemouth lure. however I never did well on worms with them. try a small jig&pig.

ok thanks i cought a small 5inch one today on a beaded head nymh buty thats the only one thanks

I think I see what your going for here.  All these plastic heads get confused with feathers and fur  ;D.  Don't even try to explain dubbing to them :-/.  

You might want to check out some drys like a royal wulff, humpy's, large hare's ear patterns tied with long hackle, black ants, blue wing olives, and just full hackle 2x-3x long hooks work great with a heavy body to mimic a caterpillar.  If you have trouble getting them on the top there are a lot wets to throw.  My favorite is a clouser minnow or wholly bugger. You can go with a brassy with long peacock hackle just stripped through the water, another favorite.  

You can always use small poppers too.  just experiment and use normal bass flies in smaller sizes or trout flies tied bulkier and a bit bigger.

A tiny brush hog with an 1/8th ounce sinker, or a bettle spin type spinner with a crappie tube will catch you all you want.

83E0D0 link=1217359447/0#2 date=1217360512]

I think I see what your going for here. All these plastic heads get confused with feathers and fur ;D. Don't even try to explain dubbing to them :-/.

You might want to check out some drys like a royal wulff, humpy's, large hare's ear patterns tied with long hackle, black ants, blue wing olives, and just full hackle 2x-3x long hooks work great with a heavy body to mimic a caterpillar. If you have trouble getting them on the top there are a lot wets to throw. My favorite is a clouser minnow or wholly bugger. You can go with a brassy with long peacock hackle just stripped through the water, another favorite.

lol yea not really tying my flies yet i'm gonna get some  more supplies sooon thanks i'll try that now i need to find some rivers