Sign in to follow this  
Mepps

Shenandoah River

Hit the Shenandoah Sunday morning with a friend, and had a great time. It was actually a brisk 68 degrees out when we got there at 7am. We each caught a few fish, saw some nice sights, ate some good food, and made it home by 1pm.

Here are some pics. I never weighed any of the fish, I think the largest one was maybe over 1lb? Either way these fish were fat and healthy. It was very nice to be out on the river again. It had been way too long. The river and the fish seemed to be in perfect condition. All fish were taken on Mepp#3. ;)

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

Nice fish Kevin! The river looks beautiful. Lots of grass growing! I was on the upper potomac and the grass growth was crazy!

Looks like a great time!  ;) I may have to head over there next week.

Thanks for the replies fellas. Such a great time. Almost spiritual. I'd give anything to be right back where I was this time yesterday. The river is a bit grassy, but perfectly clear, and easily manageable. The bite started slow, but got better as the morning went on. I'm going to try an evening wade next.

Rod, we waded the Front Royal area of the main stem of the river at the Low Water Bridge (Bentonville). Check out that link I gave you in that other thread, they should be able to give you all the info you need. Good luck. :)

I used to fish the 'Doah a lot two years ago. I would wade at Andy Guest State Park (Shenandoah River State Park) It is difficult wading because it is mainly composed of huge bedrocks that are slippery and tend to make you fall and scrape your legs. I've also fished near Luray (very close to the Shen River Outfitters) and it tends to be more slack current and silty bottomed. It has some nice largemouths and some GIANT carp. Overall though, the fishkill and the massive amounts of summertime visitors tend to keep me away nowadays. I much prefer the greater seclusion, easier wading, and bigger fish of the Rapidan or Rapp.