Sign in to follow this  
Pigsticker

Potomac/aquia 8/13 report

Sorry it's a little late

Fished with my neighbor Started out in quantico 6:30 launched out of leeslyvania, stayed for 30min I caught a dink on a gambler cane toad,my buddy caught a dink with a shallow crank.

Went to aquia spent the rest of the day there(til 3:30)

chucked senkos for an hour and my bud caught 4 largest at 1.5

I nailed 1 dink on a black'blue blue tipped senko

Then we started drifting the out side grass when the wind picked up,My partner proceeded to catch 10 fish all dinks except two keepers 1.5 and a 2.8-3lb bass all on a white/chartreuse spinnerbait

I missed a 2lber on a swimbait with a 5/0 hook and a 1/4 oz tungsten weight, on the first cast with it,so I was interested in the bait ;)

Caught a dink with the swimbait by swimming then killing the action

I was waking it later and nailed a solid 3-3.5 lb fish 30-35ft out and the bass proceeded to get me stuck in a weedbed luckily I had a 7ft heavy baitcaster and 80lb test braid, I just put all 225lbs of me behind the rod pulling and broke it free(thought I was gonna snap my rod but its a shimano so I would've got a free one causing me to really out some tension on it ;D) then swung it on board no problem ;)

ended the day when I caught a 2lber on a green/lite green swimbait

all the other swimbait fish on a white color, of the course the swimbait wasnt a big bait just one of the 5in ones like a swim senko good time all in all wish there was more of a frog bite :-/

Anyone fishing the potomac should have a pretty good time right now, my buddy was getting bite all day and my fish came in sporadically,all under partly cloudy skies and like 87 degree temps, Anything moving should do the trick ;)

Nice! Drums and I will be fishing that area on Sunday. I'm into throwing a Spinnerbait , Senko and Top water. I'm not sure my elbow is up for punching mats.

Great information.

I was planning on going with Rondef this Thursday but with the tropical storm heading this way we may have to wait until the next week.

We need the water in the Richmond area so I can't complain about the storm hitting us Thursday or Friday of this week.

Keep those Potomac reports coming!!!!  :)

Great information.

I was planning on going with Rondef this Thursday but with the tropical storm heading this way we may have to wait until the next week.

We need the water in the Richmond area so I can't complain about the storm hitting us Thursday or Friday of this week.

Keep those Potomac reports coming!!!! :)

yeah for the one time a year I fish there ;D yeah I fish the place 2-3 times a year mainly in the summer but I'll catch some decent ones when I go so I'm not complaining

flippin4it the spinnerbait is good(white/green) but  a small swimbait will give you better size from what I have seen,plus I only threw it the last 2-3 hours so who knows what could happen in a longer period of time

No wouldnlt use senkos,it is just a grind with them espeacially that day,I love chucking senkos but there are better baits for the potomac, hopefully you can get a better topwater bite together than I could.

the swimbait with a 1/4oz bullet weight wore my wrists out since i only let the bait get down to 1ft depth,lots of reeling

Oh gotto love drifting while watching guys tearing the grass beds up doing figure eights in them chunking senkos in 2-3 fett of water ::) just a rat race

Steve, have you left for England yet??

Ace and I found some nice ponds down here, we'll let you know if they're holding fish in them tomorrow after we fish  ;)

When I get back we will hit the grass mats. No tournaments til sept 7th!!

Yup I'm in england

awesome should be fun,

It had been awhile since I hit the lower potomac grass,I am always surprised just how much grass is there,I fish lilypads alot and it is not the same at all

hope you do well down there wish I could give you some tips but I never could figure out bass in florida :-/

Hope you wreck um'

We did alright, caught 8 out of one of the ponds. Ace caught one that was about 4 lbs on a spook. We missed SO MANY FISH though. We only have ugly sticks down here so it's crazy. Weightless Trig with a 7ft ugly stick. It sure is ugly... ::)

SO COOL!!!!

a 4lber that is better than ok :o

I fished a week down there without a bite in march I think eight is pretty cool hopefully you catch some PB

did you miss any big ones?

oh didnt want to say it but ugly sticks? your just like the guy at fairview ;D

I'm not trying to sound like the gyu who blames it on the rod but if I had ATLEAST a graphite rod I'm sure that I could have stuck atleast 15 fish. Honestly I hate blaming it on the rods, but having a graphite rod for worming I feel is a must. I tried everything...Letting the fish run, reeling down to them and pulling back, slammin em...Nothin seemed to hold well. It would basically be luck if the fish got hooked on a trig. We are getting some cheap graphite walmart rods tonight, hopefully we do better 8-)

Drums and I hit Aquia creek this morning and had a tough go  at  it. Boated 4 dinks total........

Drums and I hit Aquia creek this morning and had a tough go at it. Boated 4 dinks total........

WOW :o that seems too tough, What did you use and what did you fish?

Matt lol thats funny I mean with ugly sticks you can blame your rods

but what happened to your other rods and where did you get the ugly sticks??

Were there any size to the fish you lost? if not, it doesnt sound too bad but if you were losing big fish then its a nightmare >:(

good thing your gonna buy some stiff rods I have looked at a small walmarts stocked rods and they seemed preetty good for cheap stuff some decent meat sticks there be sure to get some big sticks ;)

The ugly sticks are all we have down here. We didn't bring any rods with us.

We haven't been back to the pond yet, but I caught 2 black drum over 10 lbs which was a blast...Right off the docks too. I'll let you know how we do tonight.

We threw spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, t-rigged tubes and creature baits, Senkos and so on. Never even hooked a biggie. We should have fished the Potomac instead!!

thats funny matt,

flippin, What do you mean should've fished the potomac? is aquia not part of the potomac?

IMO senkos are not as effective as in smaller lakes and ponds, sounds like a no brainer but guys just keep chucking them,my boater chucked senkos for probably 5hours out of the nine we fished :o

and I threw frogs, ikas,various creature baits,ten inch worm, didnt do any better but at least I was looking for another bite

but why you didnt get any decent ones on the tube alludes me :-?

and the spinnerbait should have at least gotten bites

Didn't try a swim bait?

I meant the mouth of Aquia and the River itself. Aquia is a feeder of the Potomac, just like Occaquan river, Mattawoma Creek and so on. So in that aspect it is not the Potomac river per say.

We fished way up in the creek.  

Hey flippin4it,

How often do you fish Aquia? I usually fish out of hope springs and do pretty decent. ;)

-Nitroman

That was the first time in Aquia for me. I used to fish closer to DC back when I had a boat.

Oh, well I have a boat and if you ever want to hit it up just let me know.

I'm looking to hit up that private lake you have been fishin'!