Sign in to follow this  
Micro

Virginia Muskie Fishing question

I live in southeast Virginia.  What's the closest body of water that offers good musky fishing?  We don't have any lakes in SE Virginia that have them so I'm going to have to travel a bit.  

From the VDGIF website:

Best Fishing [for Muskies]

Rivers: James, Clinch, Shenandoah and New. Lakes: Smith Mountain, Claytor, Rural Retreat, Burke, and Flannagan.

I have heard Burke has a good population. I also have heard that Lake Shenandoah down here in Harrisonburg has a good muskie population. If I were you, though, I'd try the upper potomac. There are some guys here that catch some monster muskies way up towards WV and PA on the Potomac. I think you're going to have to go pretty far upstream to get to the good muskie spots, though.

I saw those on the VDGIF website.  I'd have to be REAL motivated to try the Clinch and New Rivers, and especially Flannagan.   They might as well be in different states.   I could almost get to Georgia before I could get to Flannagan.

Any idea about the James?  Shenandoah?  I'm looking for something I can do over a 3-day weekend.    

I have no idea about the James. I have seen some muskies from the Shenandoah but I have absolutely NO CLUE how or where to target them. I know there are some deep holes that COULD hold them, but I don't know any that do for sure. I am pretty sure I have seen a couple of Muskie swimming in the South Fork close to its origin but I didn't get a good enough look at them...they were long and skinny unlike carp and seemed to have stripes...

Here's what the VDGIF says about Muskie in the 'Doah:

"The VDGIF annually stocks fingerling-size musky at several sites on the Main Stem Shenandoah River. There has been no evidence of muskies reproducing naturally in the Shenandoah river, therefore they must be stocked to sustain a fishery. Adult musky densities are low and closely resemble numbers seen in a wild, reproducing population. The area directly downstream of Warren Dam is the best location to connect with a musky on the Main-stem Shenandoah...."

I do not know where Warren Dam is though, I assume in Warren County near Front Royal somewhere, though.

I honestly think the best place to start is with the some of those guys from MD and PA that post pics from the upper P'mac. Some of them should be able to help you out.

Other than that, maybe try Burke. I know there are musky fishermen that catch them there but I don't know how consistent or quality of a fishery it is.

Let me know if you find any other information because I would also LOVE to catch a muskie.

I'd have to be REAL motivated to try the Clinch and New Rivers, and especially Flannagan.   They might as well be in different states.   I could almost get to Georgia before I could get to Flannagan.

You're only about 6-7 hours away from Flanagan and the Clinch.  Rural Retreat and Claytor are only about 5 hours away.

If I was going ANYWHERE in VA for musky, it would be Claytor.

Plus, you can't fish with me in GA.   ;)