Sign in to follow this  
memo43

Trophy Bass Conservation Area??

Where I live on Marine Corps Base Quantico, there is a pond that is labeled as a thropy bass conservation area. what exactly does it mean, an what can i expect to get from it. ;D ;D

It is about 5 1/2 acrea pond with a few points and open coves. the deepest part of it is suppose to be 10-15 feet. There are a few spots where there is standing timber as well as low laying branches.

it is open to fish an is limited to electric only. I know the area is maintained or worked on because i have spoken to the enviormental workers there as well as the game warden about the area.

thanks,

memo

I realy didn't ask him (game warden) what it was, even though i should have. I just wanted to find a new place to wet a hook, because it is listed as a conservation area, I wanted to make sure that it was open to fishing.

memo

This site won't let me post the link (grrrr), but a guy has fished this pond and was not impressed with the "trophy bass" label.  See his report for Buffalo Pond on 8/8/2008.  To find his site, just search for "switchfisher.com."  There are also some reports for other Quantico locations, and NOVA in general.

I have fished Buffalo Pond quite a few times and have yet to pull any fish out of it bigger than 2.5lbs. My friend went there on Saturday and he said there were about 15 to 20 people fishing this pond so he turned around and left.

What it means is that it is a managed body of water. Just like Ray Scotts lake. They constantly meter baitfish to Bass and adjust the keeper size to allow for the female to get big. If the population is off balance, adjustments to keeper size are made.

What it means is that it is a managed body of water. Just like Ray Scotts lake. They constantly meter baitfish to Bass and adjust the keeper size to allow for the female to get big. If the population is off balance, adjustments to keeper size are made.

That's was my understanding about Trophy Management. It doesn't necessarily mean that there are trophy fish in there, it means that they are putting certain regulations into effect to try to grow trophy fish.

That's was my understanding about Trophy Management. It doesn't necessarily mean that there are trophy fish in there, it means that they are putting certain regulations into effect to try to grow trophy fish.

That is correct...