Sign in to follow this  
Huskerzfan4vr

Lookin for some help in Virginia

Lookin for a hand. I am new to the area, trying to find somewhere for shore fishing don't have a boat. I have waders and float. Lookin for bass, walleye, trout, catfish. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I live in Stafford stationed at Quantico.

Contact Rondef by PM and he can give you a lot of advice.

And so can others on the site.

Welcome to Virginia.

Welcome to I-95 traffic on a good day!

As for football, nothing up this way to compare with Nebraska football.  Unless you get all excited about Duke vs. Wake Forest.  Or Virginia vs. Maryland.

The Virginia Techies are learning and they put out a good product and some fun tailgates.

Happy Veterans Day to you and your fellow troops.  :)

Hey Huskerz, I'm not on here too much anymore but I live up in Dumfries not too far north of you. My dad and I fish at Quantico a lot and believe it or not your less than 5 minutes away from 4 - 6 lb largemouth and you have plenty of water on base to keep you occuppied.

My dad, "rondef" here on the forum has a bass boat but he is winterizing it this weekend so we probably won't take it out there on the Potomac anymore this year. But there is a launch you can go to on base to put canoes and jon boats in.

I will pm you the best locations for canoe access for bigguns' on the base there. Also I will list some good trout waters for this winter you may want to look into.

Pm sent, lots of info.  Good luck and hit me up if you have any questions.

x2 what he said.  the on-base fishing for bass and pickerel is pretty good. You can rent a boat at Lunga Res for the day.  Smith Res is good as well, although I haven't fished it in a while.  The Ptomac on base agian is great for bass and the occasional sankehead if you're feeling lucky. You can drive south about 20 min to fredericksburg and fish the shad/striper/blue catfish run in the spring in the Rappahannock.  I'm sure Rondef and J can help you alot more than me since they live down there, but there's tons of fishing around Q-town.

And come mid-late May if you really wanna get in touch with your bassin' self, the Rappahannock River has some AMAZING smallmouth spots that are very under rated compared to the James River.  Right at Fredericksburg, heading upstream from Falls Hill Ave, and or driving a bit further up to River Rd and putting in around Motts Rez.  

My dad and I know of some great smallie fishing spots on the Rap!  Some of it's tributaries are hidden gold mines as well.  Caught one over 3 in one of em' this year but it fell out of my hand during a head shake when I was getting my camera out.

The Upper Potomac has come alive this year as well here on the forum.  My dad and I put our canoe in there only once but got 2 fish above 2 lbs and lost a few other nice ones.  But we also caught over 20 other fish each ranging from a small 9 - 10" bass to about 12 - 13".

Simonsays and his buddy Andrew can get you more info on that as they fish it much more than my father and I.

I to am stationed on Quantico, WTBN Rifle Team. I have found so many spots to fish for just about everything with gills here on base. An like yourself I am a bank beater. Where have you fished lately, maybe we can get together an wet some hooks.

memo

Yah I have to admit, I can't back that up at all this year... :'( :'( :'(

I fish a lot of spots on base and have had good luck at quite a few of them.  Memo43 does have an inside track, he knows where all of the ponds are located.  You may want to drop him a pm and he can provide you with the information as to where the ponds are.  If you want some details on any of the fishing on base send me a pm and I will be more than glad to send you some information.