Sign in to follow this  
quanjig

lake Huntsman in Springfield, Va

caught a couple of nice fish today a Huntsman. should be on for the next few weeks. if the water clears up a bit more you should be able to really tear them up. got pictures on my phone, not sure how to get them up on site??? help??

if you have email capability on your phone you can email them to yourself or me and then upload them to a site like photobucket or flickr? thats just what I do. i'm sure there are other options out there.

PM me if you want to email the pix or picture text them to me and i'll put them up here.

I've found the huntsman gets murky very easily with any amount of rain and i've never seen it very clear  :-?

What are the fishing biting right now?

my favorite time is from right now till mid March at Huntsman.  my bait of choice is a pointer 78 or a small jig with a finess worm trailer.  i have caught fish over 6 and had fish on that felt bigger.

photo.jpg

whooooooohoooooooooo I figured out the picture thing!!!!!

Nice lookin toads you got there Jon! They're so fat.

thanks Matt, i was very supprised at how fat they were.  almost as round as they were tall!!  this place has bunches of this size fish and a lot of people just ignore it.  

Looks like I'm gonna have to get out there soon. I just got my car back from the shop, it's time I get to fishing.

nice fish! I have a jointed pointer that still hasn't caught me a fish.

Ignored? That is not a word I would ever have used for Huntsman. That place always seemed even worse than Mercer to me, I assumed it was because the parking is closer to the lake than Mercer.

I personally have never caught anything on a jointed pointer either. My favorite luckycraft jerkbait to throw is a 100sp in chartruese shad. Give it a try, you won't regret it.

I personally have never caught anything on a jointed pointer either. My favorite luckycraft jerkbait to throw is a 100sp in chartruese shad. Give it a try, you won't regret it.

I just picked up one of these a couple weeks ago. I haven't done to well but hopefully it will produce this weekend. Are you just ripping it and then pause? Or should I be using smaller jerks? Trial and error I guess...

Nice fish Quanjig!

I crank it until I know it is down all the way then I just let it sit there for a good 10 seconds or so. Now you have to figure out how the fish want it. Sometimes it's one jerk every 10-30 seconds, sometimes it's 4 jerks then a 2 second pause. I usually do best with ripping them once or twice and just killing it for 10 seconds. After a pause, when you go to rip it, they will be hooked up.

No problem let me know how it works out for you. Quanjig might chime in on how he fishes them too, and he does really well with them.

thanks for the compliments guys, jb fishing is probably one of the most fun ways to catch 'um. about 4 years ago I read an article in bassmaster on jerkbait fishing basics. the things that I got out of article that have really influenced me the most, and I think Matt hit on it, is that you have to try a few things to get that first bite and go from there. I try to parellel or 45 the bank or point, then I crank it down about 8 turns. at this point I usually count to about 20 slowly, at the same time trying to keep the slack from my line by slowly sweeping my rod tip(and I mean just enough to keep contact with the bait) and you may have to experiment with your tequnique. I highly recommend mono over floro, something soft like trilene xl. then you just try different things like Matt said, a couple of small twitches, pause, count, single twitch, count, small drag, twitch twitch, you get the idea. try different counts, sometimes they want a 35 coount, sometimes they want a 12 count. most of the time when they hit it they completly anihalate(sp) it, completly swallowing the bait!! other times your wondering how you got snagged and realize whatever you snagged into is moving with a distinct whoomp whoomp. all I can say is it's a kick-*** way to whack some pigs this tiime of year. oh yea, the reason iI don't use floro is that it tends to weigh the bait down. I use 12lb test, and make sure your bait is somewhat neutral. a very slow sink or rise is ok, you just have to compensate and work with what you have. good luck