Sign in to follow this  
Bassboss

when do the bass get lock jaw in Florida?

Round what temp. do bass get lock jaw?

And also would a good why to find the water temperature of the depth and area  I'm fishing at be to tie a thermometer to a pole, cast to were I'm fishing, let it site for a few minutes, and reel it back up and check the temperature?  

Bass don't get lock jaw in florida. I have caught many big bass in the winter time. The bass will probably be eating more in the next month or so fattening up for the spawn after the first of the year.

Round what temp. do bass get lock jaw?

And also would a good why to find the water temperature of the depth and area I'm fishing at be to tie a thermometer to a pole, cast to were I'm fishing, let it site for a few minutes, and reel it back up and check the temperature?

There isnt a water temp when they stop eating. They always eat. The toughest time for most FL anglers is the first couple of days after a big front has gone through. Since most of our lakes are shallow.....the big sudden drop in air/water temp can throw them for a loop.

anything below72 and above 78!

Bass don't get lock jaw in florida. I have caught many big bass in the winter time. The bass will probably be eating more in the next month or so fattening up for the spawn after the first of the year.

Cfff1.5 nailed it. They still bite just not as often and they won't move far or fast to get something when the temps drop. The problem is finding them and then making the right presentation. Cold fronts are a real bear until the weather is stabilized for a few days. Then sometimes you can load the boat.

They usually get lockjaw about the same time I'm making my first cast of the day. Seems to last about the length of my trip ;D ::)

+1 Your exactly right. Its a proven fact, I have plenty of documentation to prove it.  ;D ;D

After a front or when cold weather hits get the flipping stick out and find mats. Big hawgs group up under the mats of vegetation that have floated into cat tails and other grass and when you hit them on the nose they bite. You can get some big sacks in this weather.

look for mats that have brown or dying hyacinths, dying vegetation gives off heat.

CFF1.5, can I go fishing with you after a major cold front has dropped water temps 10 Plus degrees overnight and the accompanying winds have also dirtied up the water?? I'll pay for your gas, but won't fish. I'll be busy taking notes on how you perform this miracle. ;D

Tebassco, how did you find us here? Didn't you hear the news? They drained Stickmarsh and are in the process of turning it into a 6500 acre off road riding area as per Jim Porter's suggestion. George moved to San Francisco to pursue a career in fingerpainting and Don WWF joined a shuffleboard league. I'm moving to Neb next month to try my hand at growing corn, lots of corn!!

I guess we SHOULD answer the question.

The hotter, the better. Summer is more predictable because of the stable weather patterns. I've seen 98 degree surface temps on stickmarsh and had them schooling all over the place. FL bass don't mind HOT water like northern strain bass do.

64 degrees or better for best results. Below 60 and things get tough in "most" cases.

Cold weather........get out your flipping stick and find some clean mats to flip if your lake has them. Good luck!

Just had a thought about the thermometer comment.  If you do this make sure not to use a mercury thermometer.  Mercury is poisonous to the environment should the thermometer break open accidentally.

florida bass all have lockjaw as a permanent condition.

I saw you were in lakeland!

My dad applied for a job up their! I may be joining you!  ;)

its the place to be.  let me know when you get here!