Sign in to follow this  
JVM

Burke Lake or Occoquan Reservoir?

So I am thinking of hitting the water Monday to play with some new toys and I don't know whether to go tu Burke, or the Rez.  

I am no good at fishing in the winter, I think Burke is probably better as the water should be more clear and I hear they have some nice brushpiles that hold, but I dont really fish Burke and will be out of my comfort zone.

I am pretty familiar with the rez and would likely head up-river, but I think the clarity will suck.

Anyone with some insight as to which choice is better or maybe some spots and presentations to fish plz post or PM me.  Thanks.

Unless you have a key to the Bull Run launch or the Hooes Run launch you probably are going to have to settle for Burke

The res is definitly going to be very stained, especially up in Bull Run. Burke may be your best bet. What are hour new toys if I may ask??

Nothing real special.  Got a few lures and a 7'6" Medium Heavy Woo Daves Flippin Stick.  My fishing partner got a new rod too, was going to get a carrot stix but opt'ed for something more practical and got an AG Skeet Reese Revo that he fit on his new rod, as well as a gang of tackle.

I been jonesin' since the last time I was out months ago though so really the new toys are just an excuse to do what I love.

Santa bring you any new toys this year?

I think we are going to fire up the outboard and hit the Rez.  Burke lake is just too unfamiliar to me and given that it is January, I at least would like to have confidence that i am going to catch a fish when I am freezing my butt off.

not sure what you are gonna be fishing cover wise on the res but i never have much luck unless i'm fishing deeper, down lake this time of year.  mouths of deeper cuts and creeks.  short bluffy points.  look for the banks that get the most afternoon sun.  let us know how you do.

oh yea......santa was very wise and gave me gift cards so i can make up my own mind!!!!!!