Sign in to follow this  
jjbassjj

Buggs Island advice

I have a tournament at Buggs, April 11th. We will be launching out of Palmers Point(lower end). I have never fished this area of the lake or at that time of year, so i could use some serious help. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Water temps should be up by then and fish should be moving shallow and spawning. Try throwing shallow cranks and senkos for cruising fish in the backs of creeks and keep any eye out for beds.

I can't really give you any specific areas but hit as many creeks with spawning flats adjacent to a channel or other deep water access. However, if a cold front has delayed the spawn and pushed fish back then hit points and the first depth change down from a spawning flat.

Also, if we get a heavy warm rain before the tournament that raises the water up in the bushes then pack your flippin stick and be ready for a slugfest.

Yea hopefully we get a heavy rain to raise the water level to 303+. How far of a run do you think it would be to Clarksville?(average boat at our tournaments) I really need to get a map of Buggs.

JJ,

Unless I am incorrect, Palmer Point Park is off Route 4, Buggs Island Road and then Route 827, Palmer Point Road.

You guys out there let me know if this is not the correct Palmer's Point JJ is speaking about.

If this is the case, then you are by the Kerr Dam, and the #2 buoy.

Clarksville is way up the lake by buoy #20.  A long, long, long way away.

You will have to refill your gas tank in Clarksville.  I guess it will take at least an hour, if not longer, depending on the wind and surface conditions.

Get that GMCO map and look at section L-23 for Palmer Point Park  and on the reverse side for P-26 for Clarksville.

There are a number of places closer than Clarksville to fish when launching from Palmer Point.

You and your parents need to visit Bobcat's Lake Country Store on Route 15 south of Clarksville.  Great store; the people are nice; and they may give you some tips on fishing Kerr.  ;)

Thanks Sam, Ive actually been there before. Best crankbait selection ive ever seen. I need to go there when i prefish and stock up on some cranks.