Sign in to follow this  
Btech

NC / SC Lakes

Ok NC/ SC guys I need your opinion - Aside from WILEY what is the best lake to fish arround nc / Sc Im in Charlotte and want to find a lake that isnt overpopulated with homes.

I have a 20 Mercury so nothing i cant run on or is subject to strongwinds.

As always thanks for your help!

Around my area there is Kerr Scott Resovior, Belews Lake, High Rock Lake, Lake Norman, Lake Murray, Watauga Lake, etc... This is mostly western / northwestern NC. etaylor can help you cover the middle and frogtog can cover the east if they read this...

Let me know when you get a break in school DavisCw Ill have to make a trip up there and have you as a guide

in the mountain area(NC) there is Fontana(great smallmouth), bear, wolf, cedar lake.  In SC I like Keowee and Hartwell.  I used my jon boat with a little 25 to fish these.  There are quite abit more I fish in North Georgia if you are interested.

Sounds good Btech. I really don't have much experience with lakes though. I live on a river so it gets the most of my time along with all of the farm ponds around. Jake should be along shortly. He has the low down from the middle of the state.

Mtnbasser, I know a couple of girls from Franlkin. They are in my Spanish class. From my experience driving through Franklin, you more than likely know them. Haha

Tuckertown Reservoir and High Rock are good lakes that are relatively close to you. Falls Lake up near Raleigh is also a good one. If you feel like fishing for some river Smallmouths, the Uwharrie River around El Dorado, NC (sneeze and you'll miss it) is a good option. After it warms up in the spring you can wade the river if the water isn't too high.

I love lake Russell.  no development around the lake. great fishing. the lake isn't crowded, and the stump fields keep any jet skiers out!

Down east near Raleigh, try Gardner Creek or Jordan lake.

Tuckertown Reservoir and High Rock are good lakes that are relatively close to you. Falls Lake up near Raleigh is also a good one. If you feel like fishing for some river Smallmouths, the Uwharrie River around El Dorado, NC (sneeze and you'll miss it) is a good option. After it warms up in the spring you can wade the river if the water isn't to high.

my uncle has a place at tuckertown resevoir. we love it. high rock and badin arent bad either but badin can get slammed with boats

if fish upper mountain island. People dont seem to like it, but nobody knows how to fish it right. I got a jon with a 25 merc and I dont have any trouble with winds, big boats etc. Its a small lake but big enough to hold some lunker cats, and a lot of schooling bass. if you do go on MI I would focus on some of the small sandy coves I am catching a lot of 2-4 lb bass in the coves. I am not going to give away all my secrets but if you want some hints on how to fish it pm me. its a great little treasure of a lake and its not fished very hard.

East of I 95 it is unbelievable how many places there is to fish. It's hard to drive twenty five miles without being able to wet a line. If you need specific places just shoot me a line. 8-)

I'm going to hit Lake Rhodhiss tomorrow and Hickory on Tuesday......Full report on Tuesday evening or Wednesday evening.

Lake Rhodhiss: Fished 6 hours yesterday with fair results.

Me and my fishing parter landed 5 bass the largest being only 2 lbs. All came off cranbaits off of points with the exception of one that came on a beaver bait in a cut right on the bank.

The one thing that was common to every fish caught was the baits were deep inside the fishes mouth.

Crankbaits used: Bomber models A shad, black back, Suddreth white and chartruse(they no longer are In production) and a bomber flat sided bait, baby bass.

Fished Hickory for three hours this morning without  much luck..A few dinks on crankbaits was all. We couldn't stay out very long......

Hopefully the reports will be better soon. Keep In mind though that It's getting that time and It's come none too soon. Good fishing gentlemen...