Sign in to follow this  
arul

Trying to learn Harris Chain, FL

So I have fished Harris Chain in central florida 3 times now, and each time I get a little better.  The last time I fished was a month or so ago, when it was full on spawn time.  I think I might try to get back out there shortly, but have no clue if they will still be spawning or not-probably going to be more of a postspawn deal?  Once the spawn is over, what the heck do these fish do and what patterns can I expect?  

From what I have seen, it's not like there is much in the way of offshore structure that these fish move out to...?  Do they all just stay put in the shallows for their whole life?  Should I just expect to pitch and flip this chain regardless of time of year?

Im a pretty novice bass fisherman...but I catch fish (albeit not always a lot of them) everywhere I go in Central Florida...except the Harris Chain.  I have fished it 3 times and I dont think caught 2 bass.  I have MUCH better success everywhere else I go.

Just my opinion, I know Harris Chain is supposed to be iconic but I'll go anywhere before I go to Harris Chain.

have had no luck there, the only thing I might try is top water around the slightly sumerged grass and flip the thick stuff, key in where there are multiple types of grass

I just returned from 2 weeks on Lake Harris. I don't know exactly how far it is around the lake, but I think I flipped/pitched every inch of it. I talked to a lot of local fisherman and a couple bait shop owners on a regular basis. They all claimed the weather (cold fronts) had put the bite off and that I was doing the right thing. Just needed a few days of stable, warm days (and nights) to raise the water temp and things would greatly improve. Water temps while I was there ranged from low 50's to low 60's during one day. I don't think I've seen our northern waters fluctuate that much in 12 hours.

I did manage my PB, 8.25#, and a 6-10 among the dozen or so bass I did catch but they were hard to come by.

I came home to find my Bass Times in the mail with an article about a late January tourney on Harris Chain where 30# bags were a regular occurence.

Like they say----timing is everything :-[

Yeah, I have done alright flipping up shallow, but I have never fished the Harris Chain in the "postspawn" timeframes.  I suspect the spawn should almost be done, so I just don't know where to target next... any suggestions?