Sign in to follow this  
RockvilleMDAngler

Lake Gaston Question

Hi everyone,

I am fishing a tournament on Lake Gaston next Friday and Saturday. I have never fished the lake before so I am leaving Wed night and pre-fishing on Thursday. I expect that the fish are in a pre-spawn mode so I was going to start fishing shallow and move back until I find fish. I have the GMCO map of the lake but the place is so big that I am not sure where to start. If anyone has any experience fishing Gaston in the pre-spawn I would really appreciate some help. No need to give up your honey hole but a point in the right direction would be great.  I have heard it is a great place to skip docks but what other type of cover is prevalent?  Is it rocky, shallow, stumpy etc? I don't want to make the five hour drive, fish terrible, then have another five hour drive to think about what I should have done :-)

I will be launching from this place: http://www.lakegastonresort.com/

Thanks!

Clear lake so you should def look for beds in the pre spawn locations and flats...I would use a lot of natural colors: watermelon seed,pumpkin seed, and def the red and blues. Lots of grass too, and boat docks. Good luck! ;)

Hi everyone,

I am fishing a tournament on Lake Gaston next Friday and Saturday. I have never fished the lake before so I am leaving Wed night and pre-fishing on Thursday. I expect that the fish are in a pre-spawn mode so I was going to start fishing shallow and move back until I find fish. I have the GMCO map of the lake but the place is so big that I am not sure where to start. If anyone has any experience fishing Gaston in the pre-spawn I would really appreciate some help. No need to give up your honey hole but a point in the right direction would be great. I have heard it is a great place to skip docks but what other type of cover is prevalent? Is it rocky, shallow, stumpy etc? I don't want to make the five hour drive, fish terrible, then have another five hour drive to think about what I should have done :-)

I will be launching from this place: http://www.lakegastonresort.com/

Thanks!

PM Sent

Shortbasser