Sign in to follow this  
Dan:

5/11/09 Chesapeake Striper Bonanza

We launched out of Deale, MD. The trip included my dad, a guy he works with, and his son. Two father-son combos. We were trolling umbrella? rigs with planer boards? to spread them out. We landed the first fish within about 10 minutes but then had about an hour and 45 minutes of no action. Then we boated two immediately, including a nice 39". Then a bunch of lines started going off. We ended up with 10 fish total between the four of us (we could each only keep one though). I have never been trolling before. My arm is KILLING me. It seemed like everytime I was handed a rod I was hooked up with another rig or had something fouled. One time I was working on a rig and pulled it up to find out there were two other lines tangled in it AND a fish on my rig. The other guys were making fun of me for having so much trouble reeling in my fish until they realized that I was bringing in tangled messes both times. The third fish I landed was the only fish that I landed that wasn't tangled with other lines or rigs and by the time I caught it, my arms were already tired.

I had a lot of fun. Trolling isn't my favorite way to fish but you can't argue with results...

Anyway, here are some pictures.

our rigs

striper1.jpg

my dad with a striper

striper2.jpg

a double for the other guys

striper3.jpg

the striper I kept

striper4.jpg

same striper

striper5.jpg

same striper

striper6.jpg

all of our fish

striper7.jpg

filets from one of our fish.

striper8.jpg

a short fish that had to be released.

striper9.jpg

Nice stripers. I imagine I know how you feel. One of my friend's dad is a huge striper fisherman in the Bay and ocean so he takes us out whenever we want pretty much. Trolling can be kinda dull although catching fish that big isn't something I do everyday. What were the weights on some of those? I always forget lengths of the ones we've caught. Biggest I've caught out there was about 30 lbs this past winter. It's fun getting out and I don't turn down a chance to go when offered but its just not the same as bass fishin. Ya know? You should try to go out in the summer when everyone is live lining for them with spot (a saltwater fish I compare to a bluegill if you dont know what they are). Its a lot more fun and the fights are more epic using spinning gear, albeit heavy spinning gear. The size is smaller usually, like 15 lbs is average, but its fun

We never weighed them. The largest was 39" inches.

One of the guys on the boat was suggesting live-lining in the summer. He said it was a lot of fun. I think it sounds awesome.

I'm jealous.  I haven't been out for stripers at all this spring.

Nice report and awesome catches Dan! Sorry I couldn't make it and didn't let you know  :-[. I'm glad you had a good time though, I was at work and saw the rain clouds and was hoping the weather wasn't too bad out on the Bay.

Would you be interested in some light tackle striper fishing? Let me know, I'm setting something up real soon.

Nice fish Dan. Catching some striper on the bay is definitely on my near future to-do list. What was the name of your charter? And would you recommend them?

Don't worry about it Andrew, I understand you have work and I didn't tell you until like a week in advance. Sure, I'd be interested in light tackle stripers. I need to shuffle some rod/reel combos around though. I can't take my Fuego or Kistler in brackish water. I'll need to put my Citica on my Gblank and that will have to do.

Slomoe: the charter was called Hook Mash Charters and the Captain is Stu Burgoon. He is somehow related to the other two guys that we went with. I thought they were pretty good. I think they only do group trips but I'm not sure. The website is HERE. They managed to get us on 10 fish between the four of us but that doesn't happen everytime. Trolling seems to be a good form of fishing if you are goofing around with friends. I think it would be most fun with a bunch of friends, driving around the ocean and drinking beer. It isn't a very involved way to fish. As far as the actual fishing goes, you pretty much get handed a rod and told to crank in the fish. The captain and crew do all the rest of the work. That kind of took some of the fun out of it for me. I felt like I didn't really do anything. Don't get me wrong, it was still great to catch those big fish but I would prefer to be more involved in the whole process if I could.

Simon, lmao, I can picture our rods snapping in half when we try to pull an umbrella rig with them, haha!