Sign in to follow this  
Brian4618

What lures would you use?

I was fishing today in a narrow section (about 40 yards wide) of the Chickahominy river today and all the lures I used were unsuccessful. Most of the water is covered in lily pads, thick lily pads. Around the shore is either small trees growing over into the water or fallen timber. The average depth is around 5 feet and is kind of muddy. I tried everything from crankbaits, spinnerbaits, jigs, frogs, poppers, jerk baits and more, none of them produced anything. I know its kinda hard to tell by just the explanations I have given, but if possible, could you give me any tips for when I go this Saturday?

I fish the Chick quite a bit.  I don't fish as far upstream as you were, but I know the conditions you are talking about.  

I'd skip the hardbaits with treble hooks.  The Chick is a hard lake to fish with treble-hooked hard baits unless you are in the right areas/time of year.  It's just too weedy, grassy, mucky.   I also only have luck with jigs in areas where there is hard bottom.  The green algae gets THICK on the Chick and a jig will simply get lost in all that goo.  Spinnerbaits are okay but far from my best producer.  IMO, the Chick was made for soft plastics.

I would try some soft plastic baits with some action.   The Strike King Rage Tail Space Monkey has been a big producer for me this year on the Chick.  Swim Senkos are also a historically good bait for me.  Ribbontail worms, soft plastic frogs, creatures, all produce well.   Due to water clarity, I wouldn't finesse these baits.  They need to kick to draw attention.   Swimming these baits seems to work best.   And don't be afraid to cast 3 or more times to the same spot.  Like I said, water clarity is an issue on the Chick and sometimes a couple of casts to about the same spot will pick up a bass you otherwise didn't think was there.

For me, green pumpkin, watermelon, red shad are all good colors.  

Try some water color matched lizards and brush hogs.

Weedless white or pink trick worm on light tackle.  :)

thanks for all the suggestion. Sam, I tried a cinnamon colored trick worm, im not sure if i was fishing it correct though. Whats the best way to fish a trick worm?