Sign in to follow this  
Micro

A great little topwater bait

I went out yesterday to a local reservoir from about 2:30-5:00 - during a break in the rain.  I fished from the bank because there was a tournament going on and too much traffic at the ramp.  So I threw my ML spinning outfit and my panfish tacklebag in the truck and went after some bluegill in the quite little cove where they rent boats.  I tied a couple of beetle spins an got nothing.  Then I started seeing some (small) bass crusing the surface.  I changed over to a Rebel Bubble Bee.  Tossed that, and got three small bass in about 45 minutes - in addition to a couple of decent bluegill.

That Rebel Bubble Bee is a neat little bait.  It looks like a crank and you and certainly crank it - it has a superwide wobble.  But man, it will respond to even the slightest twitch so you can really make it jiggle on the surface without really moving it forward.   It's a bluegill killer.   The hooks are way troo small to be a serious bass lure, but it will hook small bass.  And even they are fun on light tackle.

Pick some up.  

Guest muddy

Hey Micro: I just got my  bluegill set up , I haven't fished for them,on purpose for years. Some of the stripping pits we fish are loaded with nice gillies, good way to have some fun! I will try one of these'

Have you ever tried a clear bobber with a 12 inch leader to a sponge spider? I used to do that when I was younger. I just got every thing I need to fish this way and I am looking forward to some fun times with the bluegills this year

The little sponge spiders/ants with the rubber-band legs?  Heck yes, I fished with those.  I never used the bobber with them, I just whipped them out there the best I could with my old fiberglass spinning rod.  That was a killer bait.   I used to use poppers, too.  I just tied those on and whipped them out there.  Never got them far, but never needed to.  That ws great fising.  

I LOVE bluegill fishing.  I built up a dedicated panfish tacklebag that's always ready to go.  I've got about a dozen or so of those little rebel "bug" lures -  the bubble bee, grasshopper, inch worm, tiny crawfish. I've got some of the smallest Rapala originals, and some sinking Rapalas, too.  The little BPS XPS Minnows are expesially good.  Strike King Bitsy Pond minnows are the bomb.  Of course, little 1" grubs are great.   And beetle spins.

I also pick up the occassional bass on this stuff, too.  

I need to get an ultraligh rod.  I don't have one.  I would like to get one of those yellow fiberglass BPS Microlite spinning roods.   They're cheap, but it look like a big bluegill on one of those would be a blast.  

Guest muddy

Hey I just got a BPS Mico Lite Graphite, they are on sale until 4/12 for 30 bucks! Pflueger Micro Reel on it. Hey do you use 4 # test mono, thats what I have not bought yet?

My two lightest rods are a 6'6" ML Fenwick HMX and a 6" L BPS Bionic Blade.  I use 6# test on both.  I'll got to 4# on the ultralight I get.  

I'll have to check out the Microlite graphite - soon.

I love those little spiders. used to catch alot of gillies with em. and could pull 7-10" bass out of almost every lake that i fish

yeah foam spiders are great for bluegills. i've even caught a few bass on them. i need to make some more and take em out when the weather warms up. theyre very fun to fish on a fly rod! ;)

Hey I just got a BPS Mico Lite Graphite, they are on sale until 4/12 for 30 bucks! Pflueger Micro Reel on it. Hey do you use 4 # test mono, thats what I have not bought yet?

Muddy you will love that rod! That is my favorite trout rod. You can easily get away with 4 lb test also.

Dido to the above reply about fly rods.  If you guys picked up a decent fly rod and learned how to fly fish there is no better way to catch gills IMHO.  I always outfish anyone who fishing for gills when I have my fly rod. ;D

I got of those but in a different color but man those things whack some big bream in the pond behind the house.

Double ditto to all the guys who love the BPS Micro setups for gillies.  The Big Girl and I both have one of these and sometimes we just love to drift around with these little rigs and catch these little fighters by the dozens.  The micro lites do not cost a bundle but deliver mega-fun.  

The bumble bug is a great little bait. Rebel makes some great little cranks. I also really like the crickhopper and big hopper, and especially the wee craw and wee frog.