San Diego River....does it have fish?

I was in the part of San Diego where the river is today and decided I would check out the rive itself. I know absolutely nothing about this river and was wondering a few things. First and most important thing is does it have any fish in it? If so what kind of fish are in there? Im guessing it has bass and channel cats if it has any at all. I was able to get close to the shoreline and it seems to be a VERY fishy looking river yet the water is realy dirty and I could not see one fish so I do not know if there are fish in it?

The next thing I want to know is are you allowed to fish it? If so what are some good locations along the river to fish. I noticed there is very little access to the river at least at the part of the river I found....

Just wondering if there are any other san diego residents on this site that can answer these questions for me....

• Super User

The places where I fished where at Santee.   The RCP pits, its were parts of the river have been dredged by the gravel compainies.

They have or had very good crappie fishing at night, and some un-pressured bass fishing,    All the pits are surrounded by bullrushes or what some call reeds.

A float tube is a must to be effective on bass, thus the reason it wasn't pressured as much when I was stationed out there.    The area that produced good bass was just below the Las Colinas Womens prison in Santee.

I caught 6 crappie in one summer that all went over 3 lbs.    These pits are deep and full of crappie and bass.      Minnows in Cali were very expensive, crappie minnows was like 6.00 a dozen in the 90's.    Large bass shiners were 12.99 a dozen.     Word on the street was to go to pet shops and buy feeder goldfish, much cheaper on the wallet.

Matt