Florida bass in Hawaii????

Stan Wright

"Why don't you bring the Florida strain largemouth bass to Hawaii?"

We've been trying to do that for over 35 years. Here is one reason it hasn't happened.....

aV26mG6A.jpg

Some 25 or so years ago while testifying before the Hawaii State Legislature... (yes, until recently the legislature, not the fish and game dept, made all the decisions and fishing laws.) Hawaii was the last state to allow the fish & game department, not the legislature, to make the fishing rules and regulations.

Anyway, the Sierra Club brought in this giant photo... the famous painting "Florida Bass" by Edward J Bierly. They testified that if Florida Bass were allowed in Hawaii they would eat all of the endangered birds. It made no difference that the "endangered birds" lived up in the mountains on different islands than where the fish would be. This picture said it all... according to the Sierra Club: "Florida Bass equals an end to Hawaii's endangered birds."

And that, boys and girls, is why we still haven't been able to import Florida Bass into Hawaii.

Aloha,

Stan

• Super User

Don 't know what 's worse, an ignorant with s*t for brains saying such nonsense or an idiot with s*t for brains paying attention to the ignorant.

The endangered birds of Hawaii are endangered for a big bunch of reasons in which bass have little or nothing to do with it, loss of habitat, feral cats and the Philipine brown snake are the cause of the demise of the native birds, not an ocassional florida strain bass gulping on one of them.

Just to ponder, the legislature doesn 't allow Florida strain bass to be stocked but if I remember well, aside from Florida and Puerto Rico, Hawaii is the only other state of the union where you can find ..... PEACOCK BASS !   ::).

"Why don't you bring the Florida strain largemouth bass to Hawaii?"

We've been trying to do that for over 35 years. Here is one reason it hasn't happened.....

aV26mG6A.jpg

Some 25 or so years ago while testifying before the Hawaii State Legislature... (yes, until recently the legislature, not the fish and game dept, made all the decisions and fishing laws.) Hawaii was the last state to allow the fish & game department, not the legislature, to make the fishing rules and regulations.

Anyway, the Sierra Club brought in this giant photo... the famous painting "Florida Bass" by Edward J Bierly. They testified that if Florida Bass were allowed in Hawaii they would eat all of the endangered birds. It made no difference that the "endangered birds" lived up in the mountains on different islands than where the fish would be. This picture said it all... according to the Sierra Club: "Florida Bass equals an end to Hawaii's endangered birds."

And that, boys and girls, is why we still haven't been able to import Florida Bass into Hawaii.

Aloha,

Stan

stan i cannot believe you have that photo. i am born and raised in florida, and when i was in high school (1981-1985), i had 2 pictures hanging in my locker. one was that EXACT photo, and the other was a pic from my surfing mag of the monthly reef model. all i wanted to do when i was younger was surf and bass fish, and of course hook up with a reef model. wow that is a great photo!