Sign in to follow this  
Kodiak Zach

Super Flukes continue to produce, but I have a question?

Been still using the Zoom SuperFlukes with success. Last night I landed 3 out of my backyard pond in about 20 minutes. 2 of them were approx. 2-lbs and the last one was about 4 to 5-lbs. Here are a couple pics:

IMG00001.jpg

IMG00002.jpg

My question is, how slow do you fish them? I think I have been fishing them too quickly. Last night I really made a point to fish them extremely slooooooow. But I am curious if you are fishing them weightless like me, how long after you first cast them out until you make your first pop/tug on the line? I'm fishing in about 4 to 6 ft of water. How long do you wait between popping the bait again and do you pop it one time or two before you let it float back down?

i fish them at every rate.  let the fish answer that question   fast retrieves are sometimes better for bigger fish than slower retrieves  just mix it up til you figure out what the fish want.

My question is, how slow do you fish them? I think I have been fishing them too quickly. Last night I really made a point to fish them extremely slooooooow. But I am curious if you are fishing them weightless like me, how long after you first cast them out until you make your first pop/tug on the line? I'm fishing in about 4 to 6 ft of water. How long do you wait between popping the bait again and do you pop it one time or two before you let it float back

Well, on Monday I went to my Grandparents pond and tossed numerous baits, but the producer was a weightless Silver Rainbow Super Fluke. I tried twitching it with no response. So, I just let it sink to the bottom then lifted my rod tip after maybe 10-15 seconds and repeated this procedure. I caught all my bass except one using this bait and technique. I am a complete Fluke newbie but this technique worked for me and I can see my self really utilizing this bait this year.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

most of the time I use flukes in rivers and I try to pull them from shallow water into deeper holes. To do this, I usually just throw it out and immediately start walking it across the surface until it comes over the deeper water, then I let it drift to the bottom. If that doesn't work, I'll throw it out, let it sink, jerk it back about 2/3 of the way up the water column and let it sink again.

It all depends on how aggressive the fish are, how deep the water is, ect. I fish them on as light of line as possible because they will sink pretty deep when you use a 3/0 EWG hook. I can fish them in the 15 - 20 foot range on six pound test. It's not a presentation fish at that depth often see, so they really tend to love it.

Flukes and other jerks, including senkos, really are just about the best lures around, except for murky water. They just are very natural and lifelike.

I usually let the lure sink to it's desired depth, then give it a jerk or two. I will let it sink back down (when most strikes occur), and then repeat the process. I will change the number of jerks and change the length of the pauses. An erratic action is the key.

Like others have said- I keep varying my retrieves until the fish determine what is going to work. Some different retrieves to try are:

1) Work it fast to keep it on top or near the top. This is my favorite and works well on schooling fish. Above grass. Or anywhere when the fish are active.

2) Throw at cover/structure. Let sink on slack line and then pick up/ feel for bite.

3) Work like jerkbait. Allow to sink for a few seconds then jerk a various amount of times and then allow to die before implying more jerks.

Hang on!

if you are pulling those guys out of your backyard pond i'd say you are lucky to have such a close spot to find great bass!

I like to mix it up w/ the super flukes.  I bounce between a sit on the bottom with occasional tugs to a medium speed retrieve with constant jerks. It is like some others have said though, the fish are the ones who will let ya know which way to use em. :)

nice bass too :-)