Sign in to follow this  
Bassnajr

Popular ways to rig and fish a swimbait..any ideas??

Hey all...

As I expand my "arsenal", I have included swimbaits. I threw a BPS XPS swimbait the other day as more of a test and part of the continuing learning process. On the third cast, a small LMB CRUSHED the swimbait!!! It destroyed the bait. (which I hear is common with this brand bait) I was impressed that a small bass would have no problem hammering a swimbaiit half its size. Most of my reading/study leans towards swimbaits being used for bigger bass (ie. California Delta bass) etc. Anyway, I was impressed an intend on using this "new" bait when/where I can. I was just wondering if the members here could let me know their favorite ways to rig and fish a hollow body and solid body swimbait. I have checked out the articles here at BassResource.com. I am more interested in the rank and file members opinions and experiences.

Thanks in advance!!! :)

ajr

I dont fish the hollowbelly baits at all. The predominate way of rigging them is with a weighted worm hook. ie the falcon bait jerker. There are a number of options on ebay from garage crafters that will allow a wider spectrum of weights and hook sizes.

Also popular are swimbait heads like the ones sold at www.swimbait.com and underspins.

Personally I think that the hollowbelly baits are stupid and a waste of time, but to each there own I guess.

I appreciate your help and suggestions. Please explain why you feel hollow body swimbaits are "stupid" and a waste of time. IMO, you shouldn't throw a bomb out there like that without explaining what you mean. That's how people get upset in a thread.

Thanks,

Alan (ajr) :)

Other ways to rig it is to insert a weight inside heavy enough to keep it from wobbling too much (hollowcore or mojo) and thread the line through the body and tie on the treble on the bottom.  not weedless this way of course but in open water can be good to up the hookup ratio.

I don't care for them much either but they do have their place I guess - IMO people are buying up these hollow body/paddletail baits and thinking they are "swimbait fishing" when throwing a basstrix or a berkley bait n your MH rod is pretty much nothing like say... chucking a 8" huddleston on a dedicated swimbait rig.

I should have been more specific...

I am speaking of the Basstrix type swimbait, not the larger wood, rubber, or combination swimbaits, although I have a few of those to try as well.

ajr

I'm not worried about people getting upset over my opinion.

My basis, however, pretty much echoes bpm's but i'll elaborate on it a bit. I don't think that anybody is gonna argue that the swimbait bandwagon is the one to hop on these days. Thats good, it is THE best way to put yourself in contention for a PB. BUT these paddletails that everyone is paying out their a##es for will NOT significantly help your chances at a big fish IMO. They are horrifically overpriced, small, and not particularly realistic. Now before anyone brings up how much I pay for hardbaits and the apparent hypocrisy of me calling b-trix overpriced, consider this. My very high end baits WILL last me the rest of my life. They will also catch me big fish in the process.

The ever so fashionable tube style baits, on the other hand, are a great way to pay out your ears and catch 2lb fish. I really feel that they do not increase your odds of catching a big fish, in fact, I think your odds are higher for a trophy fish if you are throwing a jig. Many claim that they are versatile. I guess that is true, but the many things they do, they do in mediocrity. There are better baits for each of their fanfared uses.

So basically, in my eyes, people get on this swimbait deal with dreams of big fish. It can happen with swimbaits, thats why I love them. But if that is what you have in mind when you start down the swimbait path, then the tube style baits are in fact STUPID!

If you are using them with the hopes of catching a few average or slightly better fish, regardless of cost, then more power to you. For me, I pay big ticket prices for big fish baits!

Hope that doesnt hurt anyones feelers.

Thanks four bizz...

I live in Rhode Island which is at least a year behind the West coast so... ;D

I have looked at the larger swimbaits (Spro was one) and originally, couldn't think of a place here to throw a swimbait that large. But I get the idea from you to just throw it!! Fish outside the box I guess... Who knows what lurks near that downed tree.

BTW I wouldn't pay the money for Bass$$$$ swimbaits. I did buy a pack of the new Strikeking swimbaits for $7.99 and that was pushing it. As far as paying big bucks for higher end swimbaits...if they catch fish (and they do last a long time) I'm for it.

ajr