Sign in to follow this  
bass109

jig tips

How many types of jigs are there? football jig,flip n jig, finesse jig, ect?

what is the best technique fishing a jig?

How long does it take to master a jig?

post-2328-130162869966_thumb.jpg

Jigs are awesome no matter what technique you use but they excel in flipping and pitching as with any lure in bass fishing presentation and accuracy is what puts more in the boat.there are a lot of modifications you can do to them for enhancement ,trim skirts ,trailers,,weedgaurds.

Guest Texas_Bass_Pro
How many types of jigs are there?

Alot!!

what is the best technique fishing a jig?

There is not one technique that is better than the other. There are however different techniques that work better than others in any given situation. Ex. You wouldn't fish off the bottom with a jig when the bass wants a "swimming" jig. I don't know if this makes any sense to you.

How long does it take to master a jig?

That is hard to say as well. It all depends on how much time you will devote to practice with it. It won't happen over night and it won't take a year. This all depends on YOU.

When you start just keep at it. Don't give up. This is a great bait that is used year round and catches numbers of fish as well as BIG fish. Good luck and keep us updated on how well you are doing with it.

Jigs are by far my most productive and favorite bait. You can flip, pitch, swim and hop them along the bottom. They catch fish for me in about any scenario you can come up with.

How many jig styles are there?

There are a bunch.The real question is:How many jig styles do you need?I only use 2 maybe 3 different head types.A bullet head shape for brush or grass and a football head for rocky bottom.Presentation will factor into head type as well but isn't as important for a beginner.

The best technique for fishing a jig?Really a question of opinion that answers would vary from fisherie to fisherie and angler to angler.Patterns change daily,seasonally,and anually.

A good presentation and a way for a beginning angler to learn to fish a jig,IMO,is a slow,natural craw.Pending on depth I was fishing and fisherie,I would start with a smaller profile jig such as a 5/16 oz. Booyah Baby Boo(the most important thing about a jig is it's HOOK).You can get them at Wal-Mart.Find a trailer to match color and profile of the jig.I like flouro line on a heavy powered rod for good sensitivity.Cast the jig out and let it fall to the bottom.Don't get in any hurray.Just reel up your slack keeping your rod tip low.I like to keep the tip down below my waist and just very lightly drag the lure back about a foot or two,never twitching at all.Letting my lure pause for as long as minute,I gently reel up to feel my lure while I have been studying my lightly slacked line during the pause.You will know when she get's the jig and with experience you'll get good.Learn what Everything else feels like then when you don't know what it is set the hook!Just a short opinion on jig fishin' for starters. CJ