Sign in to follow this  
Noboat

How to fish a jigging spoon?

Once again, what is the method for fishing a jigging spoon?  Also, what kind of spoon, when, where, etc.

Thanks!

I fish a Hopkins hammered and fish it vertical. If it is standing timber or deep brush piles I change the treble to a thin wire hook and put a swivel on the front to keep the line twist to mininum. Pick it up off the bottom and let it fall back keeping in touch with it. Make sure you know how high you lift it as most strikes come on the fall. If you feel a nothing sensation or it does not fall completely back down set the hook. You will hang it often. Use the weight of the spoon to jiggle it free or with heavy enough line just pull it free and your done. That's just the Cliff Notes.

I fish a Hopkins hammered and fish it vertical. If it is standing timber or deep brush piles I change the treble to a thin wire hook and put a swivel on the front to keep the line twist to mininum. Pick it up off the bottom and let it fall back keeping in touch with it. Make sure you know how high you lift it as most strikes come on the fall. If you feel a nothing sensation or it does not fall completely back down set the hook. You will hang it often. Use the weight of the spoon to jiggle it free or with heavy enough line just pull it free and your done. That's just the Cliff Notes.

X2 My sentiments exactly and is addicting to say the least.

Big O

www.ragetail.com

Jigging Spoons are one of my staples, and Kastmasters my favorite (silver=sunny, gold=cloudy). I often add a rattle to the treble hook at times.  

There are two other articles, other than the ones Glenn noted, that I would recommend reading:

http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/cold_clear_water.html

http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/suspend_bass.html