Sign in to follow this  
donbeatya

polarized sunglasses???????????

hey i have a pair of polarized sunglasses and was just wondering are the different colored lenses different with different clarities of water just curious to see if i can get a better pair that will allow me to see deeper in the water. i fish in murky water visibility is only about 1 foot

I bought some Rapala Polarized sunglasses the other day. On the back of the box it said that blue/purple tinted colors are for more like blue clearer waters. (Kinda like the ocean) The yellow/green lenses were supposed to filter out green colors and stuff on the bottom of ponds and stuff. You'll have to look into it more, I don't remember everything....

I like an amber lense and it does help with stained water.  I wear Bolles with amber lenses for all my fishing as well as driving in the rain and believe it or not they are awesome when driving or riding my motorcycle at night.

I'd be doubtful of sunglasses helping to see better in murky water with visibility of one foot.

You could go to Cabela's site, type sunglasses into the keyword box, then click on any pair and click on the link to their Buyer's Guide. That guide has a nice section on the various lens tints.

Here's my take (pasted from the previous thread about polarized sunglasses)

Many people underestimate the role/importance of lens color. Offshore folks die by their blue mirrors, which are perfect for open water, heavy sun days. When people (like some of the Elite guys) ask me what lenses are right for bass fishing, I always say that Copper and Amber lenses are likely going to be the most versatile for all conditions, and good for off-water (driving, throwing horseshoes, etc.) as well.

Lens color is all about water color and conditions. Basically, as I understand it, you want to pick a lens color similar to the colors in front of you. The copper and amber lenses tend to filter out some of those very colors, evening out the visual field in most bass lakes.

But no pair of sunglasses is going to let you see through the murky water.

--SM