Sign in to follow this  
fish-fighting-illini

Antique Book price

I've got a book under lock and key in a special safe.

The book appears to be a general history book used for school to teach lessons.

The twist to this book is it is signed by "ox team driver while traveling by wagon train on the Oregon trail". It is dated and appears to be signed and dated for ea person that was issued the book over the years. I think the dates start at 1902 and go through 1911(??). Its been a while since I've had it out so don't quote me on the dates.

Assuming this book to be genuine does anyone have any idea what it would be worth?

Even if low value it makes for a heck of a neat piece. I got it from my grandfather I'm not sure where he came up with it.

There are professional antique apraisers that might be able to help you or even a book expert. Might or might not be worth some real $$$s.

Maybe it's just my age and may sound silly. Reading from a computer or anything along that line just can't compare to being able to hold a book and read from it. They are a treasure and special. To me a book like that is even that much more special. Imagine how many folks have read and taken such good care of it to come down to you.

Have no earthly idea how much something like that is worth in money but it is priceless ;)...

As Ever,

skillet

Condition has a LOT to do with price also. If it is torn up then it would be worth much less. Textbooks arent as high in demand as other books such as first editions. The main selling point would be the provenance of the book if you can find out who actually used it on the trail and the person's name.

Like skillet said, this book is a treasure, especially if it was handed down to you. Monetary wise though, something like that is hard to pinpoint. especially since it took that historic trip.

Key to the value on this one will be research.

Is it a beginers americain history book perchance?

Vic

The main selling point would be the provenance of the book if you can find out who actually used it on the trail and the person's name.  

Monetary wise though, something like that is hard to pinpoint. especially since it took that historic trip.

Key to the value on this one will be research.

Is it a beginers americain history book perchance?

Vic

re-read my original post it is signed by a bunch of people. Apparently the oregon trail wasn't an overnight deal. Maybe it took years or maybe some co that excorted wagon trains along it thus all the sigs over the years.

I was just trying to find someone who might have a background in book value.

Ok I cracked open the safe and I looked at the book and it is tittled "Ancient History" author is Meyers

The copyright date is 1904.

The book is in pretty decent shape considering over 100yrs old. The pages inside are incredible. The only bad thing is the binding is duct taped on the end.

Re sig's: there are a bunch including the one for the ox team driver

People kind of randomly signed the book here and there. Many of those are dated as well. Maybe this was the checkout method in the old days? There is also a page somewhere of sig's but it is hard to find.

If no value I was going to see if the Smitsonian, or Chi nat history museum or a museuo in Oregon might be interested in me loaning for display.

ok when you put "ox team driver..." in quotations, I thought that was the actual driver who signd in the book lol I was wondering how you knew it was the driver. I was confued by the wording to the fact that it was more than one person.

The twist to this book is it is signed by "ox team driver while traveling by wagon train on the Oregon trail". It is dated and appears to be signed and dated for ea person that was issued the book over the years. I think the dates start at 1902 and go through 1911(??). Its been a while since I've had it out so don't quote me on the dates.

I was also wondering what "ea person" was. Now I know that it is "each" person.

Ok now you do have a treasure of a book. Again the book itself without the signatures wouldnt be to much on its own (about 50-100$ depending on condition). But add the signatures of each person (if you can somehow verify it though records) and you will have something of great interest. ESPECIALLY if someone of historical importance was there. I have seen books similar in collections in a wide range from 500+ to thousands depending on the signatures and historical significance. Regional interests may also increase the value. Hard to say without specifics on name and history. Again research/ geneology will help alot in determining actual insurance value.

If for example you have a book from the Grove expedition, it would GREATLY increase the significance of the signatures. But the dates you provided seem a little late for that expedition. This is just one example on how important the people are to tracking down the history.

Hope that helps!

Vic

Thanks Vic,

LOL I see what you mean for instance the Ox team driver...

I wasn't exactly clear. In too big of a hurry I guess.

For the record it had whatever the name was then "Ox team driver" after that then dated.

I see your point on the regional.

For reference it looks like a book for lessons and every year that a new person was issued the book that it was signed and dated. One or 2 pages all orderly signed, dated chronilogicaly. That's my guess on why anyway.

Many people also signed the book in various places many with a date as well.

Sorry for the confusion! Thanks for the input.

Maybe someday i will hunt down the antiques roadshow