Sign in to follow this  
fishinfiend

Am I the only one?

Thought I would share a heartfelt experience with you guys. I have recently lost my brother who was my longtime fishing partner. He was someone that I fished with  more than anyone else other than my father and we won a couple fishing derbies in Atlanta when we were young.

I have some of his fishing gear and one setup in particular I make sure that I use every trip. In some way I feel that he is there with me when I am using his rod/reel and I have yet to get skunked when using his pole. I even named a special hole after him on the Alabama river which is near his birthplace.

Though I have always been very passionate about fishing, I have enjoyed fishing even more since he has passed. Maybe in some ways I feel as though I am honoring his memory and when I am fishing I reflect on all the great memories we shared or maybe because I realize that you need to make the most of every second in life because you never now when you will take your last breath or catch your last fish.  I guess this is part of what makes fishing so special to me. Not only is it great to catch fish and enjoy mother nature but it is friends and family that make the sport so special and so much fun

I was wondering if any of you have a similar story you would like to share. Best of luck to everyone on the water 8-)

R.I.P. MTM

Well, not so similar but it definately is something I think about regularly.

My dad is my prime fishing partner. We share every experience we have with each other as far as a fishing perspective. Even if we aren't together we always give each other a call to let each other know what holes are producing, how we are catching them, etc. Most of the time we are together though.

Anyway, he always tells me how proud my great grandfather (Grampy Reeves to me) would be if he saw me out there on the boat or shore hauling in these bass. He was somewhat of a big deal up in the New Hampshire/Massachussetts area and used to hold the lake record for the Rainbow Trout at Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire. I don't remember what he caught it on, but one of my dad's great aunts has it mounted in her house up there somewhere in New Hampshire. Last month he called his sister to see if she could get a hold of them and take a picture of the fish for us as I have always wanted to see it.

Anyway, I remember last year after father's day (the first day I took my dad out fishing since he was a kid) he pulled out Grampy Reeves' tackle box and showed me all the hand tied flies, old minnow type crankbaits and hooks and stuff he used to use. The tackle box had an old smell and the bottom corner of one area had some stuff spilled, almost seemed to be like some kind of glue or residue from some kind of bait enhancer. But I remember looking through all that stuff and seeing how far fishing has come and thinking of what my great grandfather would do now if he were here fishing with me.

Would he be showing me the old school way to haul in those fish, throwing old inline spinners or twicthing minnows right under the surface? It's kind of cool to think back on it. I only met him twice as he died very shortly after I was born. But the memories my dad has placed in my head will always have an impact on my fishing. He seemed like a great guy and my dad always talks about their adventures in carp fishing, trout fishing, salmon fishing up there in the colder waters of the north.

I know he's looking down on us and is probably very proud that the sport of fishing has brought my dad and I back to being close friends like when I was younger (not my high school days... we had a fall out). It's cool cause I kind of feel like the bond my dad had with my great grandfather has sort of been put in place with him and myself. We have a ton of fun on the water whether it's from boat or shore. And I feel like it's things like this that really put the sport of fishing into perspective for me.

Thanks for allowing me to share and thanks for getting that memory back out of my head and into the open. When I just looked back at what I wrote it made me realize how special it was to actually hear about and learn about my great grandfather and his fishing adventures.

Your brother will always be with you. It's not wrong with the way you approach fishing now. Your brother would have wanted you to keep the love for the sport in your veins, and he'd be happy to know you are growing as an angler and becoming more caught up in the aspect of fishing. Good luck in the future.

Thank you for sharing , I think it's a wonderful gesture that you are honoring your brother's memory.

I lost my fishing buddy but its nothing as sad as you had happen.

Guest muddy

Sorry for your loss my friend, Honoring your brother is excellent, he will always be with you.

Great stories and perspective.  You show great respect to your lost loved ones.  I didn't get to fish much with my Grandfather because he had a stroke when I was young.  He did however give my father a love for the outdoors that was passed on to me and even though he could not participate he was always very supportive.  

Man that's a great story! Thanks for sharing it.

Sorry for your loss. Your brother will always be with you.

My Grandmother was always my biggest fan. No matter what I did, baseball, bullriding she was there with her support. Her passing was the reason for my Papa to buy a fishing boat which put him, my dad, and me back out on the water. She's with us everytime out.

When I was a kid my Dad worked so many hours that he had little time for anything other than work, church, and resting.  When I was about 16 I started fishing and Dad picked it up along with me.  

The time Dad and I spent fishing became the catalyst that turned us into friends.  We fished together every chance we got until he passed away in December 2006.  That's his picture in my avatar with the biggest bass he ever caught (and released).  It was 9 pounds and 8 ounces.

I now fish out of Dad's old Bass Tracker and think about him every time I pull out of the driveway with that boat in tow.  Every time I catch a bass I hold it up to show him.  I can still hear him ask, "I wonder what Jesus is doing with the boys he doesn't love today."

Thanks for  taking the time to read and/or respond. Your comments are very helpful and inspiring. I can't wait until Friday to get back on hawg highway with my uncle followed up by a trip to bass pro.  With any luck I hope to catch a few monsters on my brothers rod!

I can't wait until my basspro has been completed.

Sorry about your brother passing. I know how it is to lose some one close. I lost my dad 4 years ago. He wasnt munch of a fisher man. I have a few old rods and reels of his. I have only used one of his rods. But he was more of a car guy. He taught me how to rip down a chevy 350 motor and put it back together. It is still hard to this day to work on a car with out thinking about him. After he died all I told my grandma that I wanted was his tool chest. I still have it sitting at her house. Those tools mean more to me then my life. But I wish you the best of luck in the future.

Sorry about your brother but it's great that you think of him so often and so warmly.  Below is a link to a similar story.  He was not my brother but still very special to me.

A Mentor Passes

Thanks for sharing, I am real close to my brothers and can only imagine what it would be like to lose one. My story is one of a neighbor, I copied from an old thread...

Outside of watching my own father randomly help others when he could, there was a gentleman (a neighbor) I knew as a kid, who at 85 years old or so at the time... He saw me fishing with a busted up old zebco 202 that I had pieced together out of a few broken reels and asked if he could "try it out" I said sure. He casted with it and said it wasn't working very well. He was right but I proudly told him that I "made the reel" out of a few broken reels. He told me that he was a big fisherman until his health began to fail. He then told me that his son never fished and he didn't know who he should give his equipment to since he no longer needed it. He asked if I would take them and see to it that they were used regularly "so they didn't rust or rot". All the reels were in cloth sacks and had been kept up as if ReelMech had just worked on them, the rods were old but didn't have a scratch on them. The tackle boxes were full and organized. He passed away within a few weeks of that day. Almost 30 years later, I can close my eyes and see that big booming smile on his face as he presented me with each rod, reel and tackle box.

For a few years I thought "he had no idea how much it meant to me" but for the last 20 years or so, I realized that I had no idea what it meant to him.

It's a win-win situation, each time it happens.

great thread guys :)

I for one lost a brother back in "97" he was my best friend, we're 6 years apart-him being the oldest. he took me everywhere, dates, his job sometimes all when i was younger, he was not a selfish man at all, always shared your joy of any acomplishments, you could tell him you just won the lottery and he'd be very happy for ya, there was never any jealousy in him that I ever seen, he I credit for getting into fishen and I honor him for that gift by passing it on to others as well.

My brother past away from suicide, it was drugs & alchohol, the last two years of his life was hell, because of this I'm VERY PREJUDICE against drugs and alchohol- I'm not sorry for this nor do I apologize for it cause in my mind they are the reason my brother is 6' under >:( he could not work thru any issues because of them evil things >:( help could not be reached to him because of the false walls of drugs and alchohol around him and yes we family tried. he WAS A DIFERANT MAN ONCE HE GOT HOOKED ON THAT CRAP, man he left HIS BELOVED two young boys of his behind too :-/

Jimbo love ya man and miss ya :'(

I can sort of relate to all of this. This past 3-4 months has been rough on me. First, I had a completely unexplained seizure. Doctors can not even explain why. I lost a very good friend, Who by the way got me into cars when he drove home a very shiney and clean '71 chevelle big block. This loss was to suicide. He was hit by a drunk driver, and it messed the plates up in his neck where he broke his neck years ago, Since then he never really was the same. This is why I am so anti drinking. I am so anti drug because I have seen too many kids on the stuff and just being stupid.

sorry if I jacked the thread, but I feel I had to open up and get some steam out.

-searoach  

This is why I am so anti drinking. I am so anti drug because I have seen too many kids on the stuff

-searoach

I hear ya, sad others don't, they think its O.K. and the way to be. just crazy stuff, I can't name one thing good that comes from that crap.