Sign in to follow this  
burleytog

Firefox

Installed it on our main computer at work last night in an effort to be a little more secure (some people are a little loose with their browsing).

I remember when this thing first hit the web that there were quite a few complaints about it being a resource hog.  I thought they had fixed it, but this thing is current eating about 60% of my system memory.

I don't understand is up with that?  I thought Firefox was the perfect browser.

Guest muddy

I did the same when I got the Dell last year, and it really takes your computer over. I don't know a lot about computers but i ditched it.

I have it here on my home computer, and we all use it at work.  We have never had an issue with Firefox, or Mozilla for that matter.  We all love it.

Even though i like my firefox..it is a resource hog.  :-/

Mozilla is currently has a version 3.0 in the works which is supposed to have a lot of things trimmed and be a lot quicker. It's a newer browser, the programmers just need a little time to trim down the script. The safety offering are much better over Explorer though.

I never noticed my computer running slower, except when i have several memory intense programs like Photoshop running at once. Right now firefox is using about 74,000K of memory. I have a lot of other stuff running in the background but I'm not sure what I can close to free up resources.  Once I started using Firefox, I never looked back at IE

Ah yes, Firefox has always been notorious for this.  I can leave it open with a few tabs open and it'll balloon up to 128 +MB sitting in RAM.  This happens especially when you have opened several tabs and then close them; it's almost like Firefox didn't let go of the resources it was allocated for those tabs.  I think other things can also cause this like Flash and plug-in bugs and such.

But honestly, Internet Explorer can be just as bad or worse.  You have to keep in mind that IE is integrated so much into Windows that it's taking up  resources that aren't reported to the user.  This doesn't mean it's OK for Firefox to bloat, of course.  

The funny thing is that I never had a real problem with IE until IE7 which was supposed to fix a lot of things.  IE6 used to load quicker than Firefox (due to aforementioned preloading by the OS) for me but that has changed with IE7.  Now, IE just seems so slow at everything.  They tried to win some people over by adding tabbed browsing but the extensions are actually what make Firefox so great for me.

I use firefox on all my machines and wouldn't have it any other way.

I will agree Opera is faster (has been for a long time) but I hear rumors that the new FF has Opera beat so we'll see  :o

I have run FF for years now on 3 different machines and never had a problem.  I would delete IE from my pc but there are still some websites that don't support FF, so I keep it to get to those.