Sign in to follow this  
fish-fighting-illini

Chicago Style dog question

On occasion I make these. Nothing too elaborate but something a little different. Their are a thousand ways to make these.

One question,

On some we get at resteurants they have a small tiny round seed on them that seems to add some flavor. Does anyone know what this might be? The ones I've seen are black I believe. My guess is poppyseed or poss celery seed. Anyone have a guess?

poppy seed

celery seed

sesame seed

probably sesame

I don't think so but??......Seseme's are light brown or white-ish and oblong. These are black and very tiny and pretty much round. Maybe 1/10th the size of a Sesame.

Also forgot to ask. Many places also put some small whole peppers on them. Maybe 1.5"s long by 1/4" around? For the life of me I cannot find these peppers in a grocery store. The only thing I see at the store are huge peppers in comparison.

First of all what are the peppers called and where does anyone else find them?

A Chicago-style hot dog is a steamed or boiled all-beef hot dog on a poppy seed bun, which originated in the U.S. city of Chicago, Illinois. The hot dog is topped with mustard, onion, sweet pickle relish (usually neon green), a dill pickle spear, tomato slices or wedges, sport peppers, and a dash of celery salt; but never ketchup.[1][2][3] The complete assembly is sometimes called "dragged through the garden" because of the unique combination of condiments. It is taboo to put ketchup on a Chicago hot dog; some hot dog stands don't even stock the condiment.

Taken directly from good ol' wikipedia  ;)

Hey thanks for the info bmadd I nver thought to check that. I figured they might be sport peppers but I've never been able to find them. I don't know about the ceelery salt but we have some so maybe I will try. I'll buy the poppy seeds too and see how it comes out. I can never find the neon green relish either just the pickle lookking kind.

On occasion I make these. Nothing too elaborate but something a little different. Their are a thousand ways to make these.

See bmadd's post.  There is only ONE way to make a Chicago style dog.  Any variation in cooking method or condiments and it is no longer a Chicago style hot dog.  It becomes just a regular hot dog.