Sign in to follow this  
Other.

Laberdoodle... Puggle... WHAT?!?

Why are they giving these names to mutts when they are not even breeding true yet? It will take many generations before Laberdoodles and puggles and any other kind dog breeds they are trying to create to exist. Puppy Mills are getting desperate? By them giving the dogs these names they are making them sound like pure breeds and breeders and mills are able to sell them for a lot more. I sort of do not like it much at all.

I don't like it either, but it makes money. If people would quit buying such oddities, then the mills would stop "inbreeding" them. Let's not forget about the Chweenie or the Chorkie. I have, however, always wanted a miniature Lab. . . you know, a yellow lab that would stay the size of a puppy, but mature with the intelligence of an adult (OK, don't look at the "Fail Dog" thread) :(

These puppy mills are highly unethical. Breeding only for traits such as color and size and not taking health into consideration. I agree that people need to wisen up and stop buying from backyard breeders, but in the end it is the fault of the breeder. Because when the dog has health or temperment problems, where does it go? the shelter. The only real loss is by the dog (and maybe a few $ by the previous owner).

I could not agree more.  I had a girl come up to me in the Walmart parking lot trying to sell her little Cherriers..    :-? :-?

At least once a month, when I take my dog out for a walk, I get "ayo, you tryin to breed her". When I tell them she's fixed and their faces twist up like they just got whiff of a bad fart.

I tell them there are plenty of great dogs put to sleep in shelters everyday. But no one wants to jump through those hoops. license, shots, home inspection. Plus you could make a grip of money on these pups. But its just not worth it to me.

I have three labs. The interesting thing about the half breeds is that, according to what the AKC told my wife is that once a female has a litter of pups from a another breed. They, being the AKC, will never register a litter from that dog again. So if you breed a Lab to create the so called Labradoodle, then you will never be able to breed her with a lab to have lab puppies. That is how I take it. Anyway you slice it, they are still mix breeds. Also from my experince from breeding my male and the oldest female, unless you are professional breeder/kennel you are not going to make any money from it. I had two liiters, the first litter I kept a pup and my inlaws kept two. I sold the other four and all eight of the second litter. I had papers for my pups and the first set of shots, and I had to end up lowering my price to $150 in order to find these pupies homes. I hav seen labs sell for uo to $350-$400 through professional kennels. And to put my price in prospective, at the local humane society and ohter shelters it costs around $125 to adopt a puppy, which inlcudes shots and spaying/neutering fees.

Why are they giving these names to mutts when they are not even breeding true yet? It will take many generations before Laberdoodles and puggles and any other kind dog breeds they are trying to create to exist.

They are NOT mutts. They are specifically breeded dogs breeded for the two species positive traits. I do not much care for them either but there is a demand for them. The groomers are just trying to make a living. It is not a crime against nature. It happens in nature all the time. Many of the current breeds of dog were made this way naturally hundreds thousands of years ago. It is the same as breeding certain plants for their traits, which is the base of modern agriculture.

I'm not saying that I have a problem with responsible breeders. Its people who think they know what there doing just putting to dogs together to make a "special" breed. If educated research is done to ensure your breeding positive traits, and doing it because its your passion, not for money, Im all about it.

There's this guy who I really admire for his work in re-creating the bulldogge of yesteryear.

http://gargoylebulldogs.com/GARGOY~1/Page_1x.html (website graphics are a little silly but hey)

If you read the bloodline link, you can see how he did it and why.

"Mating dogs is not breeding. It is the reproduction of dogs. A breeder

should be seeking to mate the right dogs in the right way so that he

produces the ideal (or as close to it as possible) in his kennels. That is

the only feasible if the breeder knows what the ideal is.

IMAG0050.JPG

IMAG0022.JPGIMAG0033.GIF

Quite possibly the most game dog ever bred.

IMAG0010.JPG

IMAG0012.JPG

IMAG0022.JPG