Sign in to follow this  
BucketmouthAngler13

Potato Guns

Me and my friends built a potato gun yesterday and, boy, it sure is lots of fun! It shoots a potato with a noise comparable with a shotgun!

We didnt have a sparker so we made a touchhole with a fuse. So you fire it just like a cannon lol. This adds a little suspense waiting for it to go off.

Anybody else ever make one?

You'll shoot your eye out........

Just dont try to hit someones house.......cause......chances are....you will. With mine i can launch a potato up to 1/4 mile....lotsa fun. Try hittin crows outa trees with it once, harder than you think.....have fun and be safe!!!!

Sched. 80 pipe, acetylene, and a remote ignition source = dangerous fun

acetylene? Are you freakin' nuts?

On second thought, I withdraw the question.

Like I said, dangerous fun.

Ya gotta know what you're doing and you need to know the limitations of the pipe.  And know when to quit.  Those ignitions weaken the pipe quickly.

built one spud gun,, was so much fun, built an air compressed cabbage gun.... shot a head of cabbage almost 200 yrds...  ;D ;D

Just dont try to hit someones house.......cause......chances are....you will. With mine i can launch a potato up to 1/4 mile....lotsa fun. Try hittin crows outa trees with it once, harder than you think.....have fun and be safe!!!!

We keep it at my friends house, and they have 16 acres of woods and fields. So theres plenty to space to let'er'rip ;)

Right now Im experimenting with different p

I have made one before.  TONS of fun!!!  I have used a lot of different popellant.  I liked spray deoderant.  Fired well, not sticky (like hairspray), and smelled good too.

Ya gotta know what you're doing.

Sounds like you know what your doing way to pass it on.   Now some kid probally read your post and hit up his dads cutting tourch and blow himself up because he don't have a clue what he's doing.

For anyone who is shooting them off or plan on makeing one. This is exactly what you don't need to be doing.  

did you sharpen the opening of the barrel? This shaves the edges of the large spuds so they fit perfectly. Sharpen the outside of the lip not the inside.

I shot one through my neighbors wall once. It went into an upstairs bedroom. OOPS

Ya gotta know what you're doing.

Sounds like you know what your doing way to pass it on.   Now some kid probally read your post and hit up his dads cutting tourch and blow himself up because he don't have a clue what he's doing.

For anyone who is shooting them off or plan on makeing one. This is exactly what you don't need to be doing.  

That about sums up my opinion too.  I was lucky enough to survive all my "stupid moves" of my younger years,...I cringe when I see others play with those same odds...

Carb cleaner and a spark plug or a grill ignition. enough said.

-searoach

in Delaware we do it better = punkin chunkin

Yup, used to use WD40 and a bbq ignition switch. Only memory I really have is shooting out the neighbors window. oops!

I'm all for having fun but pleaaaaaase, be careful.  I'd hate to (later) read a cautionary tale typed with stubby little nubs instead of fingers.

I had a neighbor that built one when I was about 11. blew his eyebrows clean off.

By the way, according to the author, it shoots at 300mph, which could probably put a hole through a wall.

when i made one i also used a grill igniter or grill lighter which i made into a handle to hold like a regular gun. man that thing was so much fun!! ;D