Sign in to follow this  
Muddy

SEAROACH: NOT A SHRIMP HA HA

Growing up on the Eastern Seacoast I seemed to remeber they were not shrimp; they are ISOPOD SCAVENGERS, related to the shrimp.

What are isopods?

Isopods are an order of marine invertebrates (animals without backbones) that belong to the greater crustacean group of animals, which includes crabs and shrimp. Isopods are one of the most morphologically diverse of all the crustacean groups. They come in many different shapes and sizes, from micrometers to a half meter in length. They also live in many different types of habitat, from mountains and deserts to the deep sea. The most familiar isopod is probably the terrestrial pill bug (sow bug or wood louse), which can be found scurrying around any back yard in moist, dark conditions.

About half of the known species of isopods live in the ocean. Some are large and spiny and live in the deep sea, while others are very small and live as parasites on fish. Many more live in coastal and shelf waters, moving around on the sea floor or living in plants.

Coastal isopods

The "wharf roach," or "sea roach" (Ligiaexotica), is a common isopod often found running around on pier pilings and rocks at high tide. It is a scavenger that feeds on organic matter that it scoops up from rocks and pilings. This isopod is terrestrial, which means that it lives on land. Growing to about 3 cm in length, Ligia exotica has large eyes and long antennae for sensing what is happening in its immediate environment. Also, it can run extremely fast. These are handy features to have, considering that it needs to be aware of predators, such as birds.

Sea shore bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!

PIC BELOW:The "wharf roach," or "sea roach" (Ligiaexotica), is a common terrestrial isopod, often found running around on pier pilings and rocks at high tide.

post-16127-130162960435_thumb.jpg

Added pic, couldn't do it from work. I once caught these from Maria De Ambrossa

Wow I guess I am officially a member now that muddy has picked on me. Thanks for that man It really is great!

-searoach

( Soon as I find out how to change it I will probably change to shrimp)

Tumnus is a faun though!!!

-tumnus

muddy i am actually VERY glad you posted this.

it answered one of my unanswered questions!

a while ago i was on solomons island on the patuxent river and all of these silverey grey bugs were crawling around on the rocks and pilings and the boardwalk itself. i tried catching some to see what they were. i couldnt identify them

you just did :)

thanks!

Hey Dave the searoach is the little black crawlie thingy by the V of the stick. There are more pics avaiable and they do come in gray and larger sized, they are thier West Coast Cousins! The gray things in the photo look like some kind of barnacle to me

Hey Dave the searoach is the little black crawlie thingy by the V of the stick. There are more pics avaiable and they do come in gray and larger sized, they are thier West Coast Cousins! The gray things in the photo look like some kind of barnacle to me

lol i could see where the bug was in the pic ;)

the ones i saw werent quite as black as this one. they were more like charcoal colored.

Just Google Sea Roach, they have a couple of sites with pics of various types

LIKE THESE?

PS he has a backwards name now, something like :  STUMBMUN  

post-16127-130162960442_thumb.jpg