Sign in to follow this  
Aaron

Truck question

I have an 06 GMC Sierra, and I was wondering if anyone knows where the  buzzer is that sounds when you have the door open and keys in the ignition?  

This thing is getting on my nerves and I want to take it out.  It sounds like it is in the door but when I had the door panel off awhile back I don't remember seeing it.

Any ideas?

Aaron,

The actual buzzer may be in one of several places.  Under the seat, in the dash or even under the hood.  It took me about 6 hours of tracing wires before I found the one in my Bronco and disabled it.  By the way, it will look like a flasher unit, just plugged into a socket.  Good luck

Thanks for your replies guys.

I got to looking some more and does appear to be coming from the door speaker.  Since it is coming from the speaker is there anything I can do about it?

It does play through the stereo most likely. That's how my Monte Carlo works and I believe most current GM systems work. I do a lot of car audio stuff. When you put an aftermarket stereo in these cars, there's an adapter they sell to keep the door chimes and stuff, it's like a seperate speaker that you put somewhere. So there has to be a way to disable it, not exactly sure how though. I'll try to look into it some more in the morning, it's gettin' late!  ;)

take a look at the door switch, and unplug it, if it goes off immediatly you can take a small resistor and put in it and it should turn off.  but the bad thing about that would be your door ajar light wouldn't come on... which could be dangerous... my dangerous 2 cents

easy to find, get yourself a piece of hose like a radiator hose or vacum hose, around 2-3 feet long. then open the door so it sounds off. then hold one end to your ear and move the other end around until you isolate where the sound is coming from. if you can get a mechanics stethescope (i think thats how it's spelled) that works the best, they are like the things doctors use to hear your heart, i have one and i have been able find any type noises coming from my vehicles.