Sign in to follow this  
Mobydick

Soda can save fish

I was browsing through this months bassmasters, and there is an article that explains how soda with citric acid can stop hemorrhaging when a fish begins to bleed from the gills or the gullet. Sodas with citric acid that are poured on the affected area causes the capillaries to shrink.

I though this was interesting.  :)

I always keep soda on my boat for that on reason. They taught everyone how to do it up on Oneida this summer, because a lot of  times a gut-hooked bleeding smallie = a dead smallie.

But doesn't caffeine open up blood vessels? I thought that would counteract the citric acid's effect of closing them up.

It said it had to do with citric acid so I'm assuming it is only sodas that have citric acid in them.

It said it had to do with citric acid so I'm assuming it is only sodas that have citric acid in them.

The point of me asking specifically what soda is so I don't need to try to read the gibberish ingredients list. I forgot this is a forum, and I can't leave an opening for someone to get a comment in.

Sierra Mist, 7up, Sprite .

So which soda actually works?

They demonstated it with Mt. Dew up at Oneida

The point of me asking specifically what soda is so I don't need to try to read the gibberish ingredients list. I forgot this is a forum, and I can't leave an opening for someone to get a comment in.

It's citric acid, just from the name it makes sense that it is in most citrusy drinks like Mtn Dew, Sierra Mist, Sprite, etc...

I know what you mean. It can be really hard to determine which have citrus.

cccitra.JPG

I thought I saw this posted before, then I read that same article too.  I am going to start keeping a bottle of soda in my boat for this purpose from now on.

I did not know that....I always have a mountain dew by my side while fishing.

I just rub a little Please Release Me in the wound, and the bleeding stops instantly.  Since Please Release Me is made for bass, I presume it's better than a soft drink.  ::)

I just rub a little Please Release Me in the wound, and the bleeding stops instantly. Since Please Release Me is made for bass, I presume it's better than a soft drink. ::)

Never rubbed it in, but  I have put big fish in a very strong solution in the well with it until they stop bleeding, then pump out, and leave them in with a standard dose for a little while. I am convinced that I would have had a 7lber die on me this year if it wasnt for PRM. She had two prongs of an Owner 2X treble in her gill rakers. Never seen a fish bleed so much. After the above treatment, she was released looking great.

I know what you mean. It can be really hard to determine which have citrus.

cccitra.JPG

Man I have not seen that stuff in years man.

-gk