Sign in to follow this  
Grey Wolf

NOTRE DAME

Thats what having higher academic standards do to a successful football program.  Lou Holtz wasn't so worried about it.  When he left they changed the in house standards for academics.  You're no longer getting the cream of the crop athletes then.

How can a school with the tradition that they have fall so far ?

Feel the same about my Wolverines...no longer the big 2 and little 8

Paterno stresses academics first, I think his program has been successful thru out the years.

Paterno is definitely a different case.  That dude is amazing coach.  I should probably amend my previous post, it's not 100% academically related.  That does have a lot to do with it now though.  You're also seeing the parity in college football because of the limits on scholarships now.  The classic big teams can't load up on pure talent like they used to.

Maybe it has to do with its standing with catholic religion? There a christian college not far from here that has a consistent football program, but I know people that go to school there and drop out because of amount of church related activity they have to do. I don't know if Notre Dame is the same way. 

I think there are a lot of athletes that could get into higher standard schools like Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, etc but why would you go schools like those when you can go to other schools with less standards and then botch for NFL after your third year. They only have the determination to play football not both school and football.

Thats what having higher academic standards do to a successful football program. Lou Holtz wasn't so worried about it. When he left they changed the in house standards for academics. You're no longer getting the cream of the crop athletes then.

So what is their excuse for getting CREAMED by Navy? Navy has high academic standards, heck, admission requires a recommendation from a congressperson....Not to mention they have to serve after graduation so NFL caliber recruits never choose to go there at the price of being able to go pro after school.

You haven't met many service academy butterbars have you?  :D

You haven't met many service academy butterbars have you? :D

You must be thinking of USMA graduates

Not a Notre Dame fan by any means, but this run is temporary. It will take Brian Kelly 3-4 years to get his system running with the right players. Weis was not a proven college coach and struggled with a lot of things at ND. Kelly quickly established Cincy as a power and will likely do the same at ND. Once they start winning again (2-3 years), they'll be a perennial top 10 team with top notch recruiting classes year in and year out.

Notre Dame lacks talent and speed. Kelly's system is based on speed, spread teams out and beat them in space. That is hard to do when their guys are faster than your guys.

Talent wins football games, great coaching helps. I think it will take a few years before they are back. They are not great in any area, O line, D line, Backers, etc. He is gonna have to recruit his tail off.

After watching the Navy game, I think it is painfully clear how empty the talent fridge on notre dame's team is. Navy was the better team the entire day. No fluke, just a butt kicking.