Sign in to follow this  
camofish

Crappie fishing day

So I took off about 11am this morning while checking the radar of rain and noticed it was going to stop. So I called a fishing buddy that I knew had off and he was on his way and we were headed to the river for some perch fishing. So we get there and the water was up and turning colors but not quite chocolate but a close pea looking soupy color of water.

We launch the canoe and I dropped anchor, transducer over side of canoe and using my UL 4# test ice fishing pole and start jigging. Finally hook up with a nice crappie, released and continued, then dropped it back down and bam-o another nice crappie, this time a photo op.

010807Crap01a11.jpg

and then another. Fish On!

010807Crap02a11.jpg

And still another, this was awesome.

010807Crap03a12.jpg

Then we moved to another spot and another spot, moved around and anchored in several places to fish, just like if we were on the ice. Jipping was hard to pick up all the time with the flasher due to the swinging of the canoe with the anchor and wind. Much harder for my buddy in the front of the canoe, next time 2 anchors might work best.

Then I hooked into a monster crappie.

010807Crap04a14.jpg

010807Crap05a14.jpg

010807Crap06a14.jpg

See the little 26" UL ice fishing rod was working awesome.

Then I was picking up a ton of crappie handing out at 12'-15' over 18'-20' FOW and counted off how far I was fishing so my buddy could get into the strike zone and then came back to back.

010807Crap07a12.jpg

010807Crap09a13.jpg

Need I saw more, what a crappie day.

All fish were C&R'd too.

Fish On!

Awesome!  I've been wondering when you were gonna post another great panfish story and pics.  Great work!  and beautiful sized crappie!

Jason

Awesome! I've been wondering when you were gonna post another great panfish story and pics. Great work! and beautiful sized crappie!

Jason

Thanks, I was looking to get into the perch and gills, but I started picking up schools of fish running about 5+ feet off bottom and I knew that I was after, after that. It was just a matter of getting the right bounce and pause to coax them to hit in the chocolatey waters.

I was headed down that way again today but the river is a foot or so higher than yesterday and much darker in color. So, my buddy has a row boat and little motor and we're headed out on a local lake today to see what we can jigg up today.  8-)

Looking for maybe a bass, pike, perch or crappie today on a tough lake. Just have to think ICE fishing, which drop the anchor and start vertical jigging. Ya never know.  ;D

you're lucky to have such a nice crappie hole man! great to see someone C&R crappie for once too!  8-)

Looking good...at least someone is catching now!!

Wayne