Sign in to follow this  
Guest avid

Anyone catch shiners for sport?

Guest avid

I have been doing some live bait fishing recently.

I gotta tell ya' I have alot of fun catching the bream and shiners.  sometimes I have to drag myself away from it to go after the bass.  Then if it's a skunky bass day, I go back to fishing for "bait" for the fun of it.

Question.  I catch alot more bream than shiners.

Those of you catching shineres.  What is your most productive method?

I use a habaki rig thingy w-e its called it works 2 lb line and a ice rod i think its 3 foot long

I love doing that those shiners can be tricky to hook . I cast one rod out for bass with a shiner and when im setting there waiting on a bass I keep catching shiners and put them in the bait bucket.

I used tiny doughballs, some times I will bait an area with some catfish food/chow or even dried bread. I hear oatmeal works good for baiting them in.

I use a small hook and tiny tiny bread  doughball. I dont use a weight and let it slow sink that is when most of the shiners hit. I also throw little bits of bread in before I toss my bait out there

I catch plenty of 'em, but not by choice! >:(  I bream fish a lot while I'm casting for bass and every time I get a bite it's another stupid shiner!  I love to eat bream and every time I go out to catch a good mess, all that eats my crickets is shiners...AAAAAAAAA!!!!! >:( But if you wanna catch 'em do like me and just fish with a regular old live cricket.