Sign in to follow this  
ssaB_htuoM_egraL

Channel Cat

I will be fishing this weekend and have a chance to catch a catfish.  I hope I don't but there is a possibility, anyway if I hook one was is the easiset and safiest way to unhook them.  Do I have to worry about getting stung or do they have teeth.  I have never caught one before and I want to be prepared.   Thanks in advance for all your replies.

Cats don't have teeth,  Their lower fins are pretty sharp and have punctured my fiancee pretty good once.  So deep we ended up in the ER getting it looked at because it bled all the way down her arm pretty bad.  They are nasty fighters.  Make sure you have gloves.  Grab under the top fins by the head of the fish and squeeze a bit.  This pressure stuns the catfish and allows you to have an easier time handling the fish and removing the hook.  Sometimes the barb can be hard to get out of the fish and can be stuck pretty good.  You can put your hand in the mouth while removing it but the pressure from their bite and the strong mouth can and will hurt like crazy if they decide to clamp down pretty good (normally only the bigger ones).  Bring a pair of pliers to remove the hook, it makes it a heck of a lot easier.  I don't know why you wouldn't want to catch one, but if you are using live bait like squid, shrimp, nightcrawlers, or others it definately is a possibility.

Good luck in whatever you do try and catch.

I appreciate your reply.  I always have a set of pliers handy.  I will use your advice.  I wanted to make sure because there is a good possibility I will catch one this weekend.  Its not that I don't want to catch one, I just never fish for them.  Thanks again, good luck and good fishing to you.

Did you get some cats?

Cat fishing is great. They put up a great fight. We catch 3-10 lb'rs regulary wading the Kankakee River in Illinois. Just float chicken livers down the river. When the cats hit, EXPLOSION about 50 yards down river and a great fight all the way in.