Sign in to follow this  
Del from philly

Im just HAPPIE theirs CRAPPIE!!HELP

I fish marsh creek in PA and the bass fishing has really come to a stop.....

so im fishing different smaller lures iv never used and i tye on a largmouth bass deep diver (looks like a bass minow) and to my suprise, something tears into my line hard, but the fight was quick.....

turned out to be one of my favorites-A CRAPPIE......

i never even knew they were in their, so now im excited......i always loved fishing for crappie and perch, but all i ever got was bluegills......

Do you think its possible that all the panfish i have seen in the lake i have mistook as bluegill and are really crappies???

also, what conditions, patterns to look for, baits been discussed, should i look for

deep or shallow, topwater work on crappies, or just bluegills???

I SEE MYSELF GETTING INTO CRAPPIE FISHIGN BECAUSE I NEVER HAVE AND THE BASS FISHING IS DEAD RIGHT NOW.......

HELP A BROTHER OUT

Crappie love to use cover.  This time of the year it is kind of hard to find many Crappie schooled together but if you do you should find them near deeper drops and cover cover cover.  I usually use the smallest shinners I can find or even better Rosie Reds (small red shiners).  Also Berkly has what they call Crappie niblets (artificial stink bait) for Crappie in a large assortment of colors.  This should work well once you find their hideout.  As far as how deep to fish this time of year in the south I have caught them as deep as 35 feet. Good Luck

I forgot to mention.  Use as small light line you can get by with.  Ol paper mouth has good eyes!  Black and white Crappie rarely get over 4lbs something over 3 should be considered a trophy.  Take his picture and let him/her go.  Keep your limit of smaller ones though.  Maybe the best fish you will ever eat.

Crappie are delicious. Try a light line size and 1/16 ounce jigs and tubes. You can attach them to a bobber if you want and set the depth.

Where I live I catch the crappies and gills with a "lil joe" with a dillie on it. Its just a hook with a few beads and a small spoon. The spoon gets thier attention and the worm provides the scent. I've found that the best time to catch them is when the bass move into deeper waters, throughout the summer. So, fish near shore where there is plenty of cover (try submerged logs). They are very delicous but you'll need to catch many for a descent meal. Or you could mix them up with some perch. Check out NH's Fish and Game site. There's a video there on how to fillet a panfish. I take the small fillets and grill them on aluminum foil with butter, garlic salt, and pepper along with zuccini, squash, and red potatoes all cut up into bite size pieces. The I use scewers and make "Fish-kabobs". Absolutely delicious. Plus you look like a grilling hero. Try it.

I just caught my first crappie of my life last night, in my first trip in my pond, in my new (well, new to me) canoe!

I thought it was a bluegill or a pumpkinseed at first, but when I got it to the boat, it was a 1/2 lb crappie.  Not big, but it still made me happie  ;)!

It's just nice to know they are in there...only steps from my house.

I just caught my first crappie of my life last night, in my first trip in my pond, in my new (well, new to me) canoe!

I thought it was a bluegill or a pumpkinseed at first, but when I got it to the boat, it was a 1/2 lb crappie. Not big, but it still made me happie ;)!

It's just nice to know they are in there...only steps from my house.

itys a good feeling, isnt it?

i love that big *** bass mouth they got....

try a tiny white feather jig (has a special name) or a mini tube bait.....

good fun, good eating,