Sign in to follow this  
jaystraw

My first Northern Pike

I caught a pretty small, but beautiful Northen Pike yesterday in Northern NH on a Rocket Shad around 7:00PM.  I had been catching smallies and pickeral, when I noticed the pickeral I had on was actually a 15 inch pike!

YAHOO!  A Pike!!  Now to catch it's much biggger Daddy this winter.

8-)

No picture...it was too small to really bother documenting the event.  I considered it, but after I got the hook out and was showing my buddy, it moved HARD in my hands and instead of dropping it in the boat, I dropped it in the water.

Congratulations!  They are a blast to catch.  I've taken a couple of 25 and 26 inch ones out of our river in the last week or so, and I've gotten more interested in learning to catch them.  I've read that a Pike's #1

favorite bait is a spinner although I had a big one hit a pearl Slug-Go. Unfortunately he took it down and broke off.  But he put up a fight while he was on.  Have fun catching them!

Yup, Northerns sure can be fun then again, I once caught one we estimated at 40 on a 7 trout colored jerkbait at Greenwood Lake in NJ/NY, while practicing for a bass tournament.  The owner of the boat said he didn't bring a net, and told me You're not bringing that thing into my boat.  After a couple of seconds I realized he really meant it.  Well, after looking at my 4 pliers, and then at the 1 razor sharp teeth in that thing, I cut the line faster than a speeding ticket.  

40"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:o

great catch, ;D i never caught a pike before but i caught 4.08lb Chain Pickerel. I didnt take a  picture of it though.  :(