Sign in to follow this  
Boett43

I wanna get into muskie or pike fishing.....

But i have hardly look a clue about the fish or any lures to use ...anyone that could give me some advice would help alot becuase im going to a lake this weekend that is know to have big muskie.

Thanks Big B

If you have a Gander Mtn., go and purchase their Musky Guide Series IM8 rods.  They are about 80 bucks (good rods).  Our you could upgrade and get a St. Croix Triumph in XH for about 100.  If you're on the budget, Pinnacle has a musky rod for about 40-50 bucks.  I forget the exact model because I left that rod up north with some relatives.  This rod is not sensative at all though.  It's like fishing with a broom stick.

Use 80 lb. test Sufix braid with wire leader.  I have a Shimano Cardiff 300.  I see a lot of musky guys using the Abu Garcias though.

Mepps has an in-line spinner that I have been told will catch musky.  It will do fine for beginning.  I also have a huge rapala I use.  Also, try bulldawgs and suicks.  Some people use live bait.  In that case, try a 1-2 lb. carp.  I wouldn't go that route though.  There is a special way you have to hook the carp.  

Release tools are also a big issue with musky fisherman.  There are these supersized pliers you ought to invest in if you're going to get serious about musky.  Oh, and get a huge net too.

Careful about not hurting the fish.  A lot of musky guys are sensative about musky fishing and will hurt you badly for a bad release or injury  ;).  

Musky are hard to catch.  So please practice catch and release.  Patience is your best weapon when musky fishing.  You may be on the water all day and only catch one.

Hope this helps.  Cheers!  

My reels are Abu Garcia C3 & C4-6600 on Berkley big Game rods.

The lures I use are:

Large spinnerbaits

Super Shad Raps

X-Rap Jointed Shad

Bucktails (in-line spinners)

Believers 6"& 13"

Bucher Shallow Raiders

Bomber Magnum Long A

There are alot of others, these are the ones I use.

Like Bream Master said, practice catch and release or you may get lynched by the locals.

Falcon

Think about hiring a guide. I've got a 4 day fishing trip in October, and we've got an outstanding Muskie guide scheduled for the first day. I've never fished for Muskie in my life and even if we don't catch a fish, I know I'll get my money's worth just by picking his brain and watching him work.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Thanks everyone i really cant wait too hook up with one of these fish it sounds like the fight of a lifetime and im deff gonna take the advice you all left me and thanks for the rod and reel suggestions too!!

Thanks Big B