Sign in to follow this  
HUNTER19

Steelhead!!!!

I was just wondering if any of you guys fly fish for steelhead? and what flys are you using or any ideas on what to tie last year. I went last weekend and all i had was egg patterns and some nymphs. My buddy caught one. Still a bit early for them but i want to be prepared because it will be in full swing in about a month any advice or patters would help a ton thatnks guys!!

im supposed to go up for steelhead sometime in Feb. and i have never done it before   i was hoping to use a flyrod  a guy that always goes up gave me a few flies  called scrambled eggs    its a pink and green egg imitaition thats what ill be throwing on my flyrod  ill probably use egg sacks on light spinning more though

where do you plan on going? thats when it starts getting good!!! last year 3 of us went and he caught like 20 in two days all on egg patterns good pattern to use i just want more arsonal in my fly box.

elk creek in erie PA   like i said i never been there and never steelhead fish before   i trout fish alot with flies on some creeks and streams by my house  is it similar?

kinda just alot bigger fish!!! In my experience the thing you have to get used to is setting the hook down stream. I was always told this and never asked any questions on why but it is because you want to "hook into the fish" i missed a few fish not doing this so. Its a good time you'll have a blast!!

yea i hope   it should be a great time and will definety help make this winter wait til the 08 season go alittle faster thanks man  

up here in ontario i use a lot of purple and black wooly buggers as well as egg sucking leaches. Eggs of course, comets, blue thunder, wooly worms, pink san juan worms (fly tiers substitute for berkly pinkies) also fuzzy wuzzy's work good to.

Here is a good site for fly tying. This has a ton of steely flies in the data base.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/

here are some sweet fly tying videos:

http://www.flyandfloatfishing.com/fly_tying_videos.htm

up here in ontario i use a lot of purple and black wooly buggers as well as egg sucking leaches. Eggs of course, comets, blue thunder, wooly worms, pink san juan worms (fly tiers substitute for berkly pinkies) also fuzzy wuzzy's work good to.

Here is a good site for fly tying. This has a ton of steely flies in the data base.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/

here are some sweet fly tying videos:

http://www.flyandfloatfishing.com/fly_tying_videos.htm

Thats a pretty good site thanks!! some good patterns!

Doucet I also live here in washington (Omak) you should make a trip to the Grande Ronde river the fishing can be outstanding, I dont fly fish for steelhead but I use jigs alot and they are kind of like a fly I guess, eggs work good so any imitations of that would work, I am going next week as a matter of fact but I think the river may be blown up so we may head down to the snake if thats the case, if you want to check the river conditions go to westfly.com, I have had 10 plus fish day on this river and have heard of people doing even better than that ;)

ya one of my friends was just talkin about going down there!!! let me know how you do because next weekend we want to go somewhere so it maybe down there thanks for the info!